PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I broke my gnome!

eatberrys
January 17th, 2009, 08:49 PM
When i log in to my gnome desktop All that i can see is my background.
I do hear the login sound thou and can login to different environments such as fluxbox and fvwm.

after i login i can use ctrl+alt+back to log out . then when i log in to Fluxbox i run "top" and gnome-panel is eatting my cpu
after killing gnome-panel the cpu stops over working

Help to get my gnome back would be awesome

thanks in advanced!

eatberrys
January 19th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Well no one responded but i figured it out
For any one that sees this thread trying to fix there gnome

rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity

CraigPaleo
January 19th, 2009, 12:07 PM

What exactly does that do? My Gnome is fine - just curious. Someone around here has in their signature to never run the rm command unless you know what it does and what you're doing. From that, I got the impression that rm removes things.

This might come in handy for the Travelocity Gnome. :-)

adamlau
January 19th, 2009, 12:56 PM
man rm

Forces the recursive removal of the listed GNOME settings files. The files will be recreated once X is restarted.

Bishop01
March 5th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 8.10. I experimented with other window managers e.g. Awesome but accidentally chose it as my 'default session'. How can I go back to Gnome?

Thanks

NoaHall
March 5th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 8.10. I experimented with other window managers e.g. Awesome but accidentally chose it as my 'default session'. How can I go back to Gnome?

Thanks

Click "Sessions" before loging in, then choose Gnome

hictio
March 5th, 2009, 11:17 PM

What exactly does that do? My Gnome is fine - just curious. Someone around here has in their signature to never run the rm command unless you know what it does and what you're doing. From that, I got the impression that rm removes things.

This might come in handy for the Travelocity Gnome. :-)

Executing that command will put your Gnome desktop like the first time you logged on into it.
For what I read you should execute not on a running Gnome session, but, either from a recovery session on the CLI; or after stopping the graphical environment from a Virtual Console.