PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas!!! (offended?)

BLTicklemonster
December 15th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Did that offend anyone?

Afraid I'm trying to push Christianity on you?

Sorry, but even though I consider myself a follwer of Christ, everyone knows that Christmas has it's roots in pagan ritual, so when I say Merry Christmas to you, you have to stop and wonder, is he talking about the celebration of Christ's birth, or is he talking about "hey, the days are about to get longer, let us give gifts to one another".

Not really seeking any flames, just put this here for you to think about.

G'day.

(trying to turn you all into Australians) :razz:

Combat Wombat
December 15th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Meh Christmas has become so secular anyways I don't see why anyone minds if you call it that anymore. It is all about getting new toys now...

Happy HanuRamaKwanzMas just to be careful though :D

raublekick
December 15th, 2005, 11:40 PM
::slaps hand to forehead::

BWF89
December 15th, 2005, 11:47 PM
I'm not offended but unfortunately a few bad apples try to ruin it for the rest of us.

cstudent
December 15th, 2005, 11:47 PM
I don't appreciate you trying to make me happy! I don't want to be merry!

:razz:

darkmatter
December 15th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Heh... I'd was going to say Merry Christmas, but then remembered that Christmas is no longer 'in'... so...

Merry Ubuntumas!!!;)

Brunellus
December 15th, 2005, 11:49 PM
I was playing "have yourself a merry little christmas" on the piano, when my dad noted, perceptively, that while the song is really pretty (lovely stuff, very lush), it has no specifically Christian content in it.

I had to agree that it was a lousy Christmas song, on that level. But it was a good tune.

Stormy Eyes
December 15th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Have a happy solstice.

majikstreet
December 16th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Meh Christmas has become so secular anyways I don't see why anyone minds if you call it that anymore. It is all about getting new toys now...

Happy HanuRamaKwanzMas just to be careful though :D
yeah.

BWF89
December 16th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I really don't see how anyone could be offended at all.

If I went to Israel and somebody said "Have a happy Hawnaka" I'd take it in the manner it was given.

Lovechild
December 16th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Well, I am of the opinion that christians should stop stealing pagan holidays. But by any stretch, happy winter solstice to you all, now that the sun is returning (at least on my hemispheere) and the days will be getting longer. I definately see cause for celebration.

Sunlight affects our mood, brings life to the earth and best of all, the sun being a ball of gas.. is something we can prove exists.

I can definately see why this was considered a magical event in ancient times, in some ways I hope it still is - I for one am getting tired of the long dark days, longing for spring to arrive.

prizrak
December 16th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Offended? Hell no! I get presents! :)

Chrisitian3807
December 16th, 2005, 12:41 AM
People get offended when someone says Merry Christmas but no one is offended by "Bless You" when someone sneezes :roll:

I'm offended to those hypocrites.......:razz:

Bye Now!! :)

matthew
December 16th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Did that offend anyone? By you saying, "Merry Christmas?" I'm not offended in the least.

Am I offended by the arrogance of people demanding that all stores/businesses and their employees say "Merry Christmas" instead of whatever greeting they want to say. Extremely.

Hint for zealots of all different persuasions: Don't tell me what to say and I won't tell you what to say.

BTW, Merry Christmas!

f76
December 16th, 2005, 01:06 AM
No im not offended. Im happy you would greet me even if it isnt a day i celebrate as i am born muslim. Greeting someone cant be bad, can it? :confused:

egon spengler
December 16th, 2005, 01:17 AM
I would be surprised if anyone had ever been offended by the mention of christmas.

Nonetheless certain people do seem to revel in any chance to boast of how un-"pc" they are as they seem to think it makes then some sort of iconoclastic rebel who refuses to conform to soceitys rules, man. Personally I find that more wearying than the idea that someone is idiotic enough to take offence to someone celebrating christmas

raublekick
December 16th, 2005, 01:45 AM
I really don't see how anyone could be offended at all.

If I went to Israel and somebody said "Have a happy Hawnaka" I'd take it in the manner it was given.

The difference is that in Israel, and many other parts of the world, there huge concentrations of ONE culture, religion, and custom. In the U.S. there is a large number of non-Christians, and they celebrate holidays around the same time as Christmas.

This whole ordeal only started because people were being curteous by putting up "Happy Hollidays" stuff instead of religion-specific greetings. (And by the way, I've seen stuff like this during my entire existance on this Earth, why is it a big deal now?) No one forced them, and they weren't forcing anyone else. But people like Bill O'Reilly use their "no spin zone" to twist it around and make it look like people are trying to steal Christmas.

There's nothing wrong with being curteous to our multi-cultural neighbors just because we want to.

No, your Merry Christmas doesn't offend me. What does offend me is your attempt to make certain people look bad because they aren't saying what you want.

matthew
December 16th, 2005, 01:53 AM
This whole ordeal only started because people were being curteous by putting up "Happy Hollidays" stuff instead of religion-specific greetings. (And by the way, I've seen stuff like this during my entire existance on this Earth, why is it a big deal now?) No one forced them, and they weren't forcing anyone else. But people like Bill O'Reilly use their "no spin zone" to twist it around and make it look like people are trying to steal Christmas. You hit the nail on the head.

ubuntu27
December 16th, 2005, 02:01 AM
It's all about the Media trying to brainwash us again ><
Buf!

WildTangent
December 16th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Around here, they push this "Seasons Greetings" and "Happy Holidays" crap on us, because people of other religions could be offended. What I want to know is what they'd do if "seasons greetings" offended me. I'll tell you...nothing. You can't please everyone, so why not just stick to tradition, thats my opinion on the matter.

P.S. I don't claim to be of any religion, I don't believe in it, so don't take me for an overzealous Christian, I'm not, I just don't like change.

-Wild

JimmyJazz
December 16th, 2005, 02:09 AM
modern christmas is so commercial these days that the word has become a little offensive.

majikstreet
December 16th, 2005, 02:11 AM
<sarcasm>OMFG! I'm a linux zealot and you just said microsoft to me!! I'm so offended!!</sarcasm>

I'm not religous. I sometimes go by the "Big Book" from Alcoholics Anonymous. (Btw: too young to drink, so I'm not an alcholic.. my mom was a co-dependant..)

LoathRevolver
December 16th, 2005, 02:12 AM
It doesn't matter what you say (or don't) you're bound to offend someone, eventually no matter what you do.

raublekick
December 16th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Around here, they push this "Seasons Greetings" and "Happy Holidays" crap on us, because people of other religions could be offended. What I want to know is what they'd do if "seasons greetings" offended me. I'll tell you...nothing. You can't please everyone, so why not just stick to tradition, thats my opinion on the matter.

P.S. I don't claim to be of any religion, I don't believe in it, so don't take me for an overzealous Christian, I'm not, I just don't like change.

-Wild

But you CANNOT be offended by something liek "Seasons Greetings", because it is just referring to the general end-of-year winter season. No matter how much you try to say that it could offend you, it just won't hold up. If it does offend you, then I'd think that any greeting might offend you, and you probably are just an unhappy person.

We're never gonna please everyone, that's for sure, but we sure can offend a lot less.

matthew
December 16th, 2005, 02:48 AM
But you CANNOT be offended by something liek "Seasons Greetings", because it is just referring to the general end-of-year winter season. No matter how much you try to say that it could offend you, it just won't hold up. If it does offend you, then I'd think that any greeting might offend you, and you probably are just an unhappy person. If a person is offended because I didn't use their favorite holiday greeting that is just dumb. I do think that if I modified my greeting to fit their paradigm they would just change their expectations and find some other reason to be offended.

I greeted you. Be happy about that, just like I am happy when someone greets me kindly on the Aid el Kebir even though I am not Muslim or when someone else wishes me a happy Hannakuh even though I am not Jewish.

People do not set out to offend when they give friendly greetings. Don't read so much into it.

KiwiNZ
December 16th, 2005, 03:07 AM
May the up coming holiday season no matter how you celebrate it bring you what you need.
May it be a time of reflection and a time of looking forward.

And may your god be with you and your loved ones.

BLTicklemonster
December 16th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Well, the trick is, some places mandate that their employees must not say Merry Christmas, or face (da da daaaaa) disciplinary action. So there has been a counter movement to stop this practice. If a black man working at Walmart (prior to their decision to allow their employees to say what they want instead of telling them they HAD to not say Merry Christmas) said Happy Kwanzaa instead of Merry Christmas, he'd not have gotten into any trouble (which one did, and he didn't, not that he should, being his right to pretty much "you know what".. I said it that way because America is a dictatorship, you know, and I don't want anyone busting my door down for talking about freedom of speech), likewise, a Jew saying Chappy Chanukah, etc. if that were to have happened.

Odd world we live in. Yes, the Christians do appear to be persecuted in the New Rome at times. But I like that you all took this thread as light heartedly as I had intended it to be.

Again, no flames, please, lets share ideas without being negative.

BLTicklemonster
December 16th, 2005, 03:38 AM
May the up coming holiday season no matter how you celebrate it bring you what you need.
May it be a time of reflection and a time of looking forward.

And may your god be with you and your loved ones.

woot woot.

(and I loved the Merry Ubuntmas comment whoever said that)

matthew
December 16th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Well, the trick is, some places mandate that their employees must not say Merry Christmas, or face (da da daaaaa) disciplinary action. So there has been a counter movement to stop this practice. If a black man working at Walmart (prior to their decision to allow their employees to say what they want instead of telling them they HAD to not say Merry Christmas) said Happy Kwanzaa instead of Merry Christmas, he'd not have gotten into any trouble (which one did, and he didn't, not that he should, being his right to pretty much "you know what".. I said it that way because America is a dictatorship, you know, and I don't want anyone busting my door down for talking about freedom of speech), likewise, a Jew saying Chappy Chanukah, etc. if that were to have happened.

Odd world we live in. Yes, the Christians do appear to be persecuted in the New Rome at times. But I like that you all took this thread as light heartedly as I had intended it to be.

Again, no flames, please, lets share ideas without being negative. I understand your point.

It is sad that businesses feel the need to restrict how an employee may greet customers. They really can choose what employees may or may not say. Legally that is their right as an employer and it is not without purpose: you don't want your customers offended, you want them to feel welcome and return and spend more money in your store. If an employee looked at me and said, "What are you looking at, dork?" I would not be likely to shop in that store (or I would fall over laughing). Unfortunately it appears that some employees (I've never met them, but I've heard some tales...) took to saying such generally non-threatening and well-meant greetings as "Merry Christmas" in such a way as to belittle anyone who wasn't a part of their belief system. Hey, look. If you want to do that to people I find that sad, but you are free to do it on your own time. Apparently in an attempt to preserve sales many stores have implemented standard greetings for the holiday season, kind of like they often have standard greetings the rest of the year; "Hi, welcome to McDonald's. May I take your order?" or "Thank you for shopping our K-Mart."

Some over-zealous customers have noticed this and chosen to be offended because their favorite greeting wasn't being used (probably the same people that as employees abused their liberty to greet during the holidays as they liked and made customers avoid them) so they decided to mount a public campaign to "Force Target to say 'Merry Christmas'" and other ridiculous things.

So, I blame people who greet using offensive methods--"You will have a Blessed Flying Spaghetti Monster Celebration and you will say it back to me!!" or "How dare you not wish me in well my Cthulhu party games!"--for causing the rest of us to lose our choice as employees or feel tentative in general society about greeting however we want.

So, Merry Christmas! (answer as you like) :)

Stormy Eyes
December 16th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Yes, the Christians do appear to be persecuted in the New Rome at times.

Given that Christianity is the majority religion in the US, that just about every politician pays lip service to Judeo-Christian ideals, and that there are few if any cases of Christians being victimized specifically for being Christian, I find it hard to believe that Christians are being persecuted in the US. It's not like Christians are being thrown to the lions during halftime at football games.

BLTicklemonster
December 16th, 2005, 04:33 AM
"Flying Spaghetti Monsters"

I can relate. :cool:

matthew
December 16th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Given that Christianity is the majority religion in the US, that just about every politician pays lip service to Judeo-Christian ideals, and that there are few if any cases of Christians being victimized specifically for being Christian, I find it hard to believe that Christians are being persecuted in the US. It's not like Christians are being thrown to the lions during halftime at football games.I have been in parts of the world where people are jailed, tortured and even killed for their religious beliefs. No, there isn't any real persecution going on here.

Stormy Eyes
December 16th, 2005, 05:05 AM
I have been in parts of the world where people are jailed, tortured and even killed for their religious beliefs. No, there isn't any real persecution going on here.

I don't deny that persecution of Christians doesn't happen elsewhere in the world. However, it is not happening in the US, which is what I was talking about.

kairu0
December 16th, 2005, 05:31 AM
G'day.

I'm more offended by the thought of being turned into an Australian! :)

matthew
December 16th, 2005, 05:42 AM
I have been in parts of the world where people are jailed, tortured and even killed for their religious beliefs. No, there isn't any real persecution going on here.I don't deny that persecution of Christians doesn't happen elsewhere in the world. However, it is not happening in the US, which is what I was talking about.I think we are agreeing here...that was my understanding when I posted. I phrased my thoughts in a rather ambiguous way. I meant "here" to mean in the U.S.A.

mfarquhar
December 16th, 2005, 06:27 AM
i don't give a damn if it offends anyone
christmas is christmas so there

people who get offended (at least in america) are proably Christophobes (people who fear christianity)

YourSurrogateGod
December 16th, 2005, 06:34 AM
What?!?! No Festivus?!?!

I was born in the former USSR, my dad knows alot of jewish folks and they put up Christmas trees to celebrate the occasion. Christmas isn't a "christian" thing, it has taken on a completely different form, anyone now can take some concepts of Christmas and form it to what they want to believe, which is fine.

I'm an agnostic/atheist (whatever) and I love Christmas, you get together with your family, stuff yourself silly with food and open presents. That's what Christmas means to me, other people can do whatever the hell they want on December 25th for as much as I care.

Arktis
December 16th, 2005, 06:38 AM
The whole idea of Christmas is offensive to me anyways, be it pagan or christian or whatever.

This is my idea of what Christmas is: "Do the zombie slave dance! Buy, buy, buy! Worship, give your mind to the ideas of your hidden overlords! Yes, my slaves, YESSSSSsssssss! Muhuhahahaha!!!"

I'm probably very unique in that standpoint. :rolleyes:

matthew
December 16th, 2005, 06:41 AM
i don't give a damn if it offends anyone
christmas is christmas so there

people who get offended (at least in america) are proably Christophobes (people who fear christianity)Wow. In one fell swoop you validated my theory that there are people capable of celebrating and talking about a wonderful holiday in such a way as to be offensive and you managed to be the sort of person that makes people run away from Christianity as quickly as they possibly can. That's impressive!

I've never actually met a "Christophobe." I have met tons of people so put off by the actions and attitudes of people who claim to follow Christ that they never actually get close enough to the Bible to find out who he was, what he said, or why it might be important. Actually, Christ impressed me as a kind, loving, accepting person who would welcome anyone who came and who only had harsh words for self-righteous hypocrites and religious zealots...he didn't have much patience for that sort of bigoted, proud stuff.

Arktis
December 16th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Christ impressed me as a kind, loving, accepting person who would welcome anyone who came and who only had harsh words for self-righteous hypocrites and religious zealots...he didn't have much patience for that sort of bigoted, proud stuff.
Indeed. See: Pharisees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharisee)

YourSurrogateGod
December 16th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Flame war to ensue in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

YourSurrogateGod
December 16th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Oh yeh, booze, can't forget booze.

spdl
December 16th, 2005, 07:37 AM
I'm offended by the offendeds, offendeds, offendedism. YEAH! Huh? Hmmm...

(hehe :D)

Arktis
December 16th, 2005, 09:13 AM
I'm offended that you're offfended that I'm offended by people not being offended. I am also offended by your avatar. :razz:

BLTicklemonster
December 16th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Ah, a gathering of the Offendites, and prophecied in Flatulus 4:17. RUN!!!!

BLTicklemonster
December 16th, 2005, 12:56 PM
888-353-7667

Probably only stateside, perhaps someone can record it and post a link. Pretty funny stuff.

timczer
December 16th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I was reading some information on this current "crisis" yesterday on how many groups on the right are up in arms that groups on the left are trying to steal Christmas and that we need to fight back. The article pointed out that the only problem is that there really isn't any group on the left fighting how people greet each other or how stores, the White House talk about the holiday. A spokesperson for the ACLU was quoted as saying they haven't had anyone ask them to confront any of these issues, and that they don't have a problem with how anyone is addressing the holidays. The contention is that this is really, for the most part, a fabricated issue from many on the right to continue to tear down the barrier of church and state.

Judging from the posts in this thread, that seems to be true, as no one seems to be offended by whatever greeting one chooses to use. I think that people and organizations wishing us well-being and happiness in any form would be a good thing and encouraged by all, in whatever form it takes.

As others in this thread, I am not a particularily religious person, but I love this time of year and the celebration of so many great values that all the different groups celebrate. Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings, and Happy Holidays to all.

duckboy
December 16th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I hope you all have a great christmas, I know I will, I have decided to focus on Jesus Christ more than ever before since that is the true meaning of christmas. Happy Holidays!!!

snowjunkie
December 16th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Actually, Christ impressed me as a kind, loving, accepting person who would welcome anyone who came and who only had harsh words for self-righteous hypocrites and religious zealots...he didn't have much patience for that sort of bigoted, proud stuff.

Nicely put.

snowjunkie
December 16th, 2005, 03:03 PM
I hope you all have a great christmas, I know I will, I have decided to focus on Jesus Christ more than ever before since that is the true meaning of christmas. Happy Holidays!!!

Do we need to start a little "Christian Ubuntu Users Group" here? :p
You know Jesus was actually probably born some time late October or early November? Wouldn't it have been too cold for the shepherds to be sitting out in the field in December... I dunno! Maybe this is a different discussion entirely.

spdl
December 16th, 2005, 04:35 PM
I'm offended that you're offfended that I'm offended by people not being offended. I am also offended by your avatar. :razz:

Muahahhaa!!! :p

DR_K13
December 16th, 2005, 04:38 PM
This thread is lame and a non-issue to most people, except Christians.

Even the White House puts out " Happy Holidays " cards

:rolleyes:

matthew
December 16th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Edited version: This thread is lame and a non-issue to most people, except some Christians (that I find rather goofy, unlike all Christians).

DR_K13
December 16th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Edited version: This thread is lame and a non-issue to most people, except some Christians (that I find rather goofy, unlike all Christians).

good point. :cool:

thezerogroup
December 16th, 2005, 05:42 PM
A Festivus for the rest of us!

spdl
December 16th, 2005, 05:50 PM

Even the White House puts out " Happy Holidays " cards

:rolleyes:

That's like saying, all Christians are her, http://www.reformlogic.com/images/AnimatedGodWarrior.gif. hehehehehhe

snowjunkie
December 16th, 2005, 07:38 PM
That's like saying, all Christians are her, http://www.reformlogic.com/images/AnimatedGodWarrior.gif. hehehehehhe

Who on earth is she?

gorkhal
December 16th, 2005, 07:40 PM
merry christmas...and also the new year's coming in and that means only one thing

"Lord Dapper"..."Riseeee!!" :D

spdl
December 16th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Who on earth is she?

http://media.putfile.com/Lady-Goes-Crazy-on-Trading-Spouses

matthew
December 16th, 2005, 08:31 PM
That's like saying, all Christians are her, http://www.reformlogic.com/images/AnimatedGodWarrior.gif. hehehehehhePrimo example...this is exactly the sort of attitude/behavior/perspective that the argument over which greeting to use makes me think of. Be yourself and don't force anyone else to be you. :)

mstlyevil
December 16th, 2005, 09:27 PM

There are two types of Christians.

1. The minority. These are humble people who are kind and caring. They usually understand that they are no better than anyone else and they strive to live their lives as Christ lived his. Also the golden rule and the two comandments from Jesus are the laws they govern their lives by.

2. The majority. These are the self rightous hypocrytes who regard themselves as better than all the foul sinners of the world. They believe that the Ten Comandments and all the laws of the bible apply to evryone else but themselves. They generally are loud and outspoken to the point of being just plain rude and obnoxious. They also believe the government should be run by them with all the sinners and nonbelievers being forced to serve them because they consider themselves superior by being saved. They even consider themselves somehow superior to Jesus because they believe it is their right to shove God and the bible down everyones throat when Jesus was himself appaled by such behaviour.

Stormy Eyes
December 16th, 2005, 09:28 PM
people who get offended (at least in america) are proably Christophobes (people who fear christianity)

Tyrants are feared for good reason.

Emerzen
December 16th, 2005, 09:44 PM
A Festivus for the rest of us!

Back at ya. Now who has a festivus pole?

curuxz
December 16th, 2005, 09:58 PM
I hate political correct nazi's

Merry Christmas (and im anti religion, but its more the token that counts not the suposed holliday you celebrate)

matthew
December 16th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Back at ya. Now who has a festivus pole? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5c/Festivuspole.gif
Now, shall we commence with the Airing of Grievances? After that it wll be time for the Feats of Strength.

TeeAhr1
December 16th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Did that offend anyone?

No, actually. By now, I'm sure everyone's pretty much used to your constant trolling.

Emerzen
December 16th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Mathew...lol, I almost fell out of my chair. Thanks

rjwood
December 16th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Did that offend anyone?

Sorry, but even though I consider myself a follwer of Christ, everyone knows that Christmas has it's roots in pagan ritual, so when I say Merry Christmas to you, you have to stop and wonder, is he talking about the celebration of Christ's birth, or is he talking about "hey, the days are about to get longer, let us give gifts to one another".

G'day.

I thought you were going to go learn the command line or someting a couple of weeks ago..

ubuntu27
December 17th, 2005, 02:01 AM
About persecuted Christians: http://persecution.com/

Anyway, I don't care what religion you believe.
You can greet me in anyway like "Happy Hanukah" "Happy Christmas" "Feliz Navidad" "Give me everything you got!!" [is this a greeting? :P] to "Happy comercialism] :P

But, man! For a corporations and government to regulate and control us how to talk, move and think. I'm tired of it.

Well, I am of the opinion that christians should stop stealing pagan holidays. But by any stretch, happy winter solstice to you all, now that the sun is returning (at least on my hemisphere) and the days will be getting longer. I definitely see cause for celebration.

Sunlight affects our mood, brings life to the earth and best of all, the sun being a ball of gas.. is something we can prove exists.

I can definitely see why this was considered a magical event in ancient times, in some ways I hope it still is - I for one am getting tired of the long dark days, longing for spring to arrive.

...yep, Christmas is not a Christian holiday, it is a pagan holiday. The only reason it was converted to "Christian" holiday was in order to convert pagans easily by just saying: "you can still celebrate your holidays, but you should change the way you call your gods, goddess, season, etc"

I was reading some information on this current "crisis" yesterday on how many groups on the right are up in arms that groups on the left are trying to steal Christmas and that we need to fight back. The article pointed out that the only problem is that there really isn't any group on the left fighting how people greet each other or how stores, the White House talk about the holiday. A spokesperson for the ACLU was quoted as saying they haven't had anyone ask them to confront any of these issues, and that they don't have a problem with how anyone is addressing the holidays. The contention is that this is really, for the most part, a fabricated issue from many on the right to continue to tear down the barrier of church and state.

Judging from the posts in this thread, that seems to be true, as no one seems to be offended by whatever greeting one chooses to use. I think that people and organizations wishing us well-being and happiness in any form would be a good thing and encouraged by all, in whatever form it takes.

As others in this thread, I am not a particularly religious person, but I love this time of year and the celebration of so many great values that all the different groups celebrate. Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings, and Happy Holidays to all.

What he says. I agree 100%

PatrickMay16
December 17th, 2005, 02:13 AM

To me it just seems like a time to get together with family and friends, and have a good time. I've never seen it as a religious thing... just a tradition. I've never really been a religious guy.

matthew
December 17th, 2005, 03:31 AM
There are two types of Christians.

1. The minority. These are humble people who are kind and caring. They usually understand that they are no better than anyone else and they strive to live their lives as Christ lived his. Also the golden rule and the two comandments from Jesus are the laws they govern their lives by.

2. The majority. These are the self rightous hypocrytes who regard themselves as better than all the foul sinners of the world. They believe that the Ten Comandments and all the laws of the bible apply to evryone else but themselves. They generally are loud and outspoken to the point of being just plain rude and obnoxious. They also believe the government should be run by them with all the sinners and nonbelievers being forced to serve them because they consider themselves superior by being saved. They even consider themselves somehow superior to Jesus because they believe it is their right to shove God and the bible down everyones throat when Jesus was himself appaled by such behaviour.Guess which ones Jesus would be likely to call his followers...

I'm seriously considering calling myself something other than "Christian." It's not that I feel the need to have the world acknowledge my faith anyway, but it would be nice to have a response to "What religion are you?" that didn't suddenly end the conversation. There is just too much baggage that comes with that name anymore.

mstlyevil
December 17th, 2005, 03:42 AM
Guess which ones Jesus would be likely to call his followers...

I'm seriously considering calling myself something other than "Christian." It's not that I feel the need to have the world acknowledge my faith anyway, but it would be nice to have a response to "What religion are you?" that didn't suddenly end the conversation. There is just too much baggage that comes with that name anymore.

You can always refer to yourself as a Messianic Jew.

openmind
December 17th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Offended? Yes! Didn't you know that I'm one of "Other 20%" that Faux News warned you about?

We actually held secret meetings to Declare Our "War On Christmas". We feel we can defeat Christianity if we can just get Walmart to say "Happy Holidays" instead. Some of us are planning anti-aircraft fire on "Holiday Eve" trying to shoot down Santa. We feel if Target says "Seasons Greetings", then everyone will forget Christmas!!

We're actually after world domination Bwahahaa!!

Or it could all be a ratings ploy, You Decide.

kleeman
December 17th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Bill O'Reilly started all this BS. The guy's just an idiot seeking ratings. Ignore him or watch Stephen Colbert.

rjwood
December 17th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Offended? Yes! Didn't you know that I'm one of "Other 20%" that Faux News warned you about?

We actually held secret meetings to Declare Our "War On Christmas". We feel we can defeat Christianity if we can just get Walmart to say "Happy Holidays" instead. Some of us are planning anti-aircraft fire on "Holiday Eve" trying to shoot down Santa. We feel if Target says "Seasons Greetings", then everyone will forget Christmas!!

We're actually after world domination Bwahahaa!!

Or it could all be a ratings ploy, You Decide.

Judging by your looks, I'm afraid to make a guess, but your probably harmless.

Arktis
December 17th, 2005, 08:07 AM
This is all so ridiculous. Inevitably, it's going to get backyarded. Why:

Christians and atheists both refuse to accept something and therefore the argument will always continue. What they refuse to accept is that they don't and can't know for sure, but chose to take their position anyways. A true christian is convinced that they know the truth when in fact neither side can prove anything, and so is an atheist otherwise he/she would instead be agnostic. As you all full well know, the availible evidence is inconclusive, otherwise there would be no need for this faith thing. Tisk, tisk!

So, both sides should stop being petty and arguing over anything related to their beliefs, including christmas. This isn't going to happen.

The christian is compelled by their beliefs to declare them to others, to testify and whatnot in the hopes of convincing someone, and generally create a lot of noise. This provokes the atheists and sometimes even agnostics into saying something to the effect of "Get your annoying selves out of our faces! There ought to be rules against this sort of continual barrage of this stuff.", which further provokes the christians into becoming louder in their proud declarations, which in turn provokes the atheists to try to do something about it, and so on and so forth. The whole situation is doomed to escalate from the beginning.

And then you have the media today, which is fanning the flames! You're pawns. You're just pawns. It's all terribly depressing.

LinuxSwede
December 17th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Did that offend anyone?

G'day.

God Juletid.

Chibi
December 17th, 2005, 08:56 AM
I'll be getting myself a new MicroATX board, stuffing an X2 on it, putting it in a fancy new tiny case, with some new speedy corsair memory. Yum. It's the season to be jolly, right? Better spoil myself silly.

LinuxSwede
December 17th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I'll be getting myself a new MicroATX board, stuffing an X2 on it, putting it in a fancy new tiny case, with some new speedy corsair memory. Yum. It's the season to be jolly, right? Better spoil myself silly.

WHOA, that is like MADE for Slackware64. ;) compile your own kernel, specialized and exclusive for you alone, only 64 bit software on it, and everything threaded to make the most of the x2.

Just don't install 32bit windows with the usage of that second core coming into play once a week.

;)

Don't mind me, i'm just posting a lot because i'm hypernervous.

rjwood
December 17th, 2005, 04:16 PM
This is all so ridiculous. Inevitably, it's going to get backyarded. Why:

And then you have the media today, which is fanning the flames! You're pawns. You're just pawns. It's all terribly depressing.
your right of course, but the people here are being played not by the media but by blticklemoster. He goes around the forums like a child in a room full of gadgets and buttons. He probably pressed a button by mistake one day and saw the reactions to it. Since then he is constanly trying to stir up peoples emotions and then say "oh, I was just kidding". These are important issues for people and he is playing with them. He starts serious threads like this and sits back and laughs,he should be stopped!!!!!!!!!!!. If he can't carray on an intelligent conversation he should not start them. Please don't let him manipulate you like that. He is immature and selfish. If you want to admonish me for that mods or admins then do so but you should control this guy..

BLTicklemonster
December 17th, 2005, 04:36 PM
your right of course, but the people here are being played not by the media but by blticklemoster. He goes around the forums like a child in a room full of gadgets and buttons. He probably pressed a button by mistake one day and saw the reactions to it. Since then he is constanly trying to stir up peoples emotions and then say "oh, I was just kidding". These are important issues for people and he is playing with them. He starts serious threads like this and sits back and laughs,he should be stopped!!!!!!!!!!!. If he can't carray on an intelligent conversation he should not start them. Please don't let him manipulate you like that. He is immature and selfish. If you want to admonish me for that mods or admins then do so but you should control this guy..

Aw man, can't a mind control enthusiast have a little fun any more?

(fun post by the way, I never looked at it that way. Last time I intentionally tweaked anyone was when there was a 44 magnum in my face with the hammer back and I could see all the pretty little hollow points. I left him a troubled mass of tears quivering on the floor as a yanked the gun out of his hand and ran like hell to get out of the house. In laws. Gotta love em...)

alvas
December 17th, 2005, 05:55 PM
merry christmas and happy new year.

dcast
December 17th, 2005, 05:59 PM
only 7 days left (or 8) depending on your point of view!!! :)

BLTicklemonster
December 17th, 2005, 06:57 PM
My immediately family gathering is tomorrow, then next friday night, it's to the father in law's, then saturday to the mother in law's where we give her a computer I just built from spare parts (kicks butt, but had to put windows in it because I was told to by the widdle monster), then their back door has to be replaced, so I get to do that, and there's a tiller that won't work, a riding mower that won't stay running, their grill sputters, and some electrical rewiring, and a wee bit of plumbing.

I'm going to be having a ball. I love working with my hands. Having all that work for me to do is like the best Christmas present they could give me!!!

machiner
December 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Christmas (http://www.benbest.com/history/xmas.html)

DavidGX
December 18th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Cults aren't really my thing, but whatever helps you sleep I suppose.

matthew
December 21st, 2005, 11:44 PM
Back at ya. Now who has a festivus pole?I found another one for you.

http://www.festivuspoles.com/UserImages/festivus-poles_order_over.gif (http://www.festivuspoles.com/pages/festivuspoles.htm)

They're actually available for sale...click the picture! (I have nothing to do with this company...just posting because I think it's funny.)

kairu0
December 22nd, 2005, 12:11 AM
I almost bought a Festivus Pole until I decided to get the Festivus breadbox instead.

Seriously, this is just ludicrous.

Merry Christmas to all! And if this offends you then brush it off and get on with your own December 25th plans.