PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freeze

timreed
January 17th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Anyone Know why Ubuntu all of a suddenly freezes.

aheckler
January 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Could be a million reasons. Include some more details.

linux_tech
January 17th, 2009, 04:29 PM
what are the system specs?
In terminal type

sudo lshw
try running memtest86 at boot to check the memory

thezood
January 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Anyone Know why Ubuntu all of a suddenly freezes.
It's not even sure it WAS a freeze. If that happens, first try CTRL-ALT-Backspace that should restart X. If that doesn't work, you can go with REISUB. Hold CTRL-ALT-Print Screen/Sys Rq and press REISUB with small pauses between each one. That should safely reboot your computer. If THAT doesn't work, THEN you know it's truly a freeze. :)

sieve
January 26th, 2009, 09:08 PM
It's not even sure it WAS a freeze. If that happens, first try CTRL-ALT-Backspace that should restart X. If that doesn't work, you can go with REISUB. Hold CTRL-ALT-Print Screen/Sys Rq and press REISUB with small pauses between each one. That should safely reboot your computer. If THAT doesn't work, THEN you know it's truly a freeze. :)

I'll have to try that. My 8.10 ramdomly locks up also.

I had to look up what REISUB was though. I'll post it here for the benefit of other ignorant folks like me ;)

REISUB (Abbreviation) Reboot Even If System Utterly Broken. Typing REISUB while holding the Alt and SysRq keys is the way to reboot a locked up Linux system.

sieve
February 16th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I downloaded and installed a more recent video driver and have not had the freezing problem since.

And when it did freeze, ctrl-alt-backspace would not work and neither would REISUB.