PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What is going on with my taskbar icons?

Exile09
January 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Hey guys I wondered if you knew what has happened to my ubuntu 8.10 install?

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2558/helpmesr3.png (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=helpmesr3.png)
(click to enlarge)

Basically my program icons (that are normally in the taskbar on the top right of the screen) have somehow managed to move out of the taskbar and into there own program program window.

This is driving me mad so any help would be much appreciated!

vanadium
January 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Try deleting these icons and then re-add them to the taskbar.

damis648
January 17th, 2009, 04:16 PM
You must have accidentally removed the notification area. Right click the top panel and then choose "Add to panel..." and scroll down and add 'Notification Area'. The icons should dock back into your panel, you might just have to move the notification applet back to its original position.

vanadium
January 17th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Try the suggestion of damis648 first.

Exile09
January 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I've tried adding the notifcation area to the panel & it doesn't work. Nor does deleting the icons and then adding them back to the taskbar.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9690/helpme2fx8.png

vanadium
January 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Did you restart the system or at least log out and back in?

Exile09
January 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
logging out & doing a system restart or doing ctrl + alt + backspace to restart x-window makes no difference :confused:

I've been living with this problem for about a week now, but now its really starting to annoy me!

damis648
January 17th, 2009, 05:10 PM
The notification area is being blocked by the next applet. Drag that little grip-looking thing over to uncover the icons.

Exile09
January 18th, 2009, 09:53 PM
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9863/helpme3rr3.png

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this? I think I'm gonna just do a reformat and reinstall ubuntu beacuse this is really winding me up....

oaqster
January 18th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this? I think I'm gonna just do a reformat and reinstall ubuntu beacuse this is really winding me up....

dont htink a reinstall is required, its just a visual thing - the three i see (i think) are the network manager, blue tooth applet and pidgin. looking at your previous screen shot you seem to have added a notification area cuz i see a divider (you might have even added two)

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9690/helpme2fx8.png

if you right click on divider and click on about you should see a popup with "Notification Area" and version number. if not right click on the dividers and remove from panel and add the notification area by right click and Add to panel

now right click just to the right of the divider and select add to panel and add the network manager and the blue tooth applet. for pidgin start pidgin and goto Tools -> Preferences -> Interface, the first option on that tab will be "Show system tray icon" select Always from the drop down. once you have everything you need back on your notification area move it to where you want and right click on the divider and select lock to panel (you might have to unlock other stuff if your moving it across them)

give this a shot and let me know....
- oaqster

Exile09
January 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Nope still no joy.

When I try to add Notification Area to the toolbar I just get those little boxes (or dividers as you may call them). I don't seem to have any Notification Area. I have the same problem on the bottom toolbar as well...

sleepitoff
January 20th, 2009, 12:55 AM
That is odd. Have you tried deleting the panel, adding a new panel, then manually adding back everything you had there?

Exile09
January 20th, 2009, 01:03 AM
yes I'm afraid that didn't work & I still have the same problem!

Exile09
January 20th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Right this has been going on for too long now! & I ant take it much longer!

I'm going to give it another day but unless anyone has any ideas that don't involve removing and re-adding things, I'm going to change the OS because I cant have my OS doing strange things like this........

damis648
January 20th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Open a terminal and do the following:

rm -r ~/.gconf/apps/paneland then log out and back in. This resets your panel config.

Exile09
January 21st, 2009, 02:11 AM
Open a terminal and do the following:

rm -r ~/.gconf/apps/paneland then log out and back in. This resets your panel config.

This fixed it!

Thank you so much!

and also thanks for everyone else's efforts its much appreciated!

:D:D

Exile09
February 8th, 2009, 08:11 PM
right I think there may be a bug in ubuntu or gnome because despite doing what damis648 suggested I keep getting this problem a little time after I have reconfigured by desktop.

As I felt it may have something to do with some of my desktop effects I decided to do a reinstall (without the effects) and once again I have this problem!

Since I have done the reinstall all I have done to customize my desktop is remove the evolution & help icon & add a terminal icon. Also I have added eyes, forcequit, & system monitor to the bottom gnome panel/taskbar.

This is a fresh installation so I dont understand why I still have this issue?? The only thing I can think of is that there is a bug involving the panel/taskbar icons & gnome or ubuntu.

Once I get some time I might give kubuntu a go, as these problems are really annoying me!