PDA

View Full Version : Mit!

jdong
December 15th, 2005, 10:37 PM
I would just like to tell everyone that I have received my acceptance letter from MIT. So, now, party time!!!

:KS

Now, money....

linbetwin
December 15th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Congrats, jdong!

prizrak
December 15th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Wee! Sweet! Just don't become one of those snobish MIT types. Other than that I wish you the best of luck, and remember the BU campus across the river has 70% female population and most of their male population is gay so that's where the party at ;)

jdong
December 15th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I don't think I'm the kind of person that would get snobbish....

Brunellus
December 15th, 2005, 10:44 PM
massive congratulations.

Sutekh
December 15th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Congrat jdong! Are you really born in 1988? You're only one month older than my brother... thinking of him going to uni just freaks me out... but good on'ya

jdong
December 15th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Congrat jdong! Are you really born in 1988? You're only one month older than my brother... thinking of him going to uni just freaks me out... but good on'ya
Thanks

Yes, that is accurate :)

Brunellus
December 15th, 2005, 10:48 PM
cor, jdong, didn't know you were that young. You're only a year older than my younger brother.

*Brunellus feels old.

Sutekh
December 15th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks

Yes, that is accurate :)

Wow that's really great! What are you gonna study (if you don't mind me asking)?

KingBahamut
December 15th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Yer better than me Capn, I applied to MIT, got denied and went GATech down here in Atlanta.

GeneralZod
December 15th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Wow - I had no idea you were so young! Anyway, huge congrats - that's quite an achievement! :)

earobinson
December 15th, 2005, 11:14 PM
grats

I hope to see you involved in the next MIT hack http://hacks.mit.edu/Hacks/Gallery.html

jdong
December 15th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Wow that's really great! What are you gonna study (if you don't mind me asking)?

Electrical Engineering / Computer Science. Those have been my two favorite fields.

As far as getting in, I'm as shocked as anyone else. In fact, this year early admissions rates fell to an all time low (12%/377 students).

majikstreet
December 15th, 2005, 11:21 PM
COOL COOL! cool! EE is what I'd probably do in college if I don't change my mind ...

Well anyways, congratulations! hope you enjoy MIT!

Sutekh
December 15th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Electrical Engineering / Computer Science. Those have been my two favorite fields.

Go Engineers!

Ok so you're the backports leader, I'm not surprised you got into MIT.

raublekick
December 15th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Congrats dude! I thought you were like 35 or something.

Stormy Eyes
December 15th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Wee! Sweet! Just don't become one of those snobish MIT types. Other than that I wish you the best of luck, and remember the BU campus across the river has 70% female population and most of their male population is gay so that's where the party at ;)

How much of the female population is lesbian? :)

prizrak
December 16th, 2005, 12:25 AM
How much of the female population is lesbian? :)
Lol never checked, but you could still watch ;) so not total waste of time ;)

Lovechild
December 16th, 2005, 12:31 AM
smart people scare me...

endersshadow
December 16th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Rock on, dude. I go to Boston College, so it's pretty close, though not as close as that other school on Comm Ave which shall not be named, or Harvard. MIT is an awesome campus, and you'll love Boston. My advice: Get lost in Boston at least once a week. There's no other city quite like it, and you'll find something awesome every time you do. Just take the Red Line in, and go explore. There aren't really bad areas of Boston, so you'll be fine.

Anyway, congrats again :-D

jdong
December 16th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Cool, glad to hear from someone in Boston.

I visited there last June, and was very impressed with the city and the MIT campus/surroundings.

matthew
December 16th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Sweet!! Serious congratulations, dude!

cstudent
December 16th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Congratulations! Very impressive. I wish you the best of luck in your studies.

macgyver2
December 16th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Congrats jdong. I'm not really surprised, though. :)

Out of curiosity, did MIT make you travel to Boston for an interview? Back when I applied they told me I'd have to go to them (from Maryland) for the interview, otherwise my application (which I submitted mid-application season) would be incomplete. I couldn't go. The other schools that required interviews were a) either less than an hour away or b) had an alumnus from the area interview me at my school. But boy, did MIT irk me by doing that.

Anyway, congratulations.

jdong
December 16th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Congrats jdong. I'm not really surprised, though. :)

Out of curiosity, did MIT make you travel to Boston for an interview? Back when I applied they told me I'd have to go to them (from Maryland) for the interview, otherwise my application (which I submitted mid-application season) would be incomplete. I couldn't go. The other schools that required interviews were a) either less than an hour away or b) had an alumnus from the area interview me at my school. But boy, did MIT irk me by doing that.

Anyway, congratulations.

MIT sends representatives/alumni ("Educational Counselors/EC's") to local regions. For me, it was right in school. Furthermore, the interview is "optional" but "highly encouraged"

earobinson
December 16th, 2005, 01:03 AM
+1 for compute science

macgyver2
December 16th, 2005, 01:10 AM
MIT sends representatives/alumni ("Educational Counselors/EC's") to local regions. For me, it was right in school. Furthermore, the interview is "optional" but "highly encouraged"
Might have been a department-specific requirement, then. I just have always assumed it was the admissions office since the info came from them, and when I called to protest it the argument I had was conducted with an admissions lady. :)

majikstreet
December 16th, 2005, 02:14 AM
smart people scare me...
I didn't know people could scare themselves..

Anyway, boston is a nice city, it's just cooooooold in the winter! make sure to say hello to my grandma in Quincy and my aunt and uncle in boston... /me likes boston accent.

Buffalo Soldier
December 16th, 2005, 03:38 AM
I'll just keep repeating what most people have said... WOW! Surprised how young you are jdong and congrats :)

jdong
December 16th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Thanks,

Everyone here has been very supportive of me, and I owe much of the credit for admissions to what the Ubuntu community has taught me.

endersshadow
December 16th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Anyway, boston is a nice city, it's just cooooooold in the winter! make sure to say hello to my grandma in Quincy and my aunt and uncle in boston... /me likes boston accent.

Haha, it's not that cold in the winter. It's still 28F and clear here right now...sweatshirt weather. My hometown is getting freezing rain. Hooray Finger Lakes!

Besides, jdong, you'll be gone for the coldest month, anyway.

nocturn
December 16th, 2005, 09:40 AM
I would just like to tell everyone that I have received my acceptance letter from MIT. So, now, party time!!!

:KS

Now, money....

CONGRATULATIONS Jdong!

ubuntu_demon
December 16th, 2005, 02:47 PM
congrats!

DariusTriplet
December 17th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Congrats! I'm finishing up the application process right now (just sent everything in, waiting for one of those peer reviews back), and still have another four months to go before I hear back.

Congratulations again; from what I've seen on the forums, you truly do belong there.

xequence
December 17th, 2005, 03:22 AM
I dont accually know anything about MIT, besides its a university :P

I don't think I'm the kind of person that would get snobbish....

Thats what they all say.

Buffalo Soldier
December 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I believe jdong will fit in nicely with the MIT people.

http://laura.mitblogs.com/archives/2005/12/yay_a_hack.html

bonzodog
December 19th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Am I the only 'uneducated' linux geek here? - I left school at 16 with no qualifications and went straight into work. My CV is a strange one, as i have no 'commercial' experience of IT. I taught myself everything I know about linux, and I have been descibed in these parts as 'the computer geeks computer geek'.

Otherwise - congrats Jdong. god, do I feel old (i'm 32!). I didn't realise that you were that young - a year younger than my youngest brother who is going to Trinity College, Oxford, England - yes he's a genius.

huh?
December 19th, 2005, 02:59 PM
congrads ! the best school ! good luck

ubuntu-geek
December 19th, 2005, 03:29 PM
grats! :)

spdl
December 19th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Congratulations jdong!

Ride Jib
December 19th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Well done! I had two friends in high school that applied to MIT. The one who got the 1600 on the SAT's got in, the one who got a 1580 did not.