PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help please???

kylem1989
January 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM
ok so im trying to install a theme for my Ubuntu desktop and when i try to install it the error is saying that my file format is wrong... what can be the problem?

kylem1989
January 17th, 2009, 07:47 AM
BTW im running on Ubuntu 4.07 Fiesty Fawn..

3rdalbum
January 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM
BTW im running on Ubuntu 4.07 Fiesty Fawn..

That's an interesting version... you mean Ubuntu 7.04, I assume.

Your theme is in a .tar.gz file, right? Tell the Appearance (or Themes) program to install the .tar.gz. Don't uncompress it first.

If it's any other sort of theme (.emerald, Qt or something different) then it's not compatible with the Themes program.

kylem1989
January 17th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Your theme is in a .tar.gz file, right? Tell the Appearance (or Themes) program to install the .tar.gz. Don't uncompress it first.

here is what i do and i get that error....

System-> prefrenses->theme-> install theme

then when i click the theme to install i get the error " The file format is invalid"

What should i do?!?!?!?

and yes 7.04

taurus
January 17th, 2009, 03:51 PM
What is the name of the file and where did you download it?

kylem1989
January 19th, 2009, 04:08 AM
its every file i try to put on, anything i try to install doesnt work (theme wise)

melojo
January 19th, 2009, 04:15 AM
here is what i do and i get that error....

System-> prefrenses->theme-> install theme

then when i click the theme to install i get the error " The file format is invalid"

What should i do?!?!?!?

and yes 7.04

It states exactly what is wrong.
Give us the name of the file and where you got it just like taurus suggested!!

kylem1989
January 19th, 2009, 04:21 AM
gnome-look.org

/home/kyle/Desktop/gtk2-engines-nimbus-0.1.1-felicia-all.tar.gz

kylem1989
January 19th, 2009, 09:53 PM
can someone tell me whats wrong?

mcduck
January 20th, 2009, 08:55 AM
gnome-look.org

/home/kyle/Desktop/gtk2-engines-nimbus-0.1.1-felicia-all.tar.gz

Based on the name, that is not a theme, it's a GTK engine (practically a program themes use to draw different kinds of widgets).

If you still wish to install it, extract the package somewhere and read instructions inside. (Most likely the package contains source code for the program, ad you'll need to compile it.)

Edit: there are also .deb packages of that GTK engine available at Gnome-look.org. You'd better use them instead of compiling the engine from source: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=97717

ajcham
January 20th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Edit: there are also .deb packages of that GTK engine available at Gnome-look.org. You'd better use them instead of compiling the engine from source: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=97717

Actually that link is for exactly the same file the OP has already downloaded.

kylem, just extract the archive you already have - it will contain two deb files: nimbus-icon-theme… and gtk2-engines-nimbus…. Install the icon theme first (just double click the deb), then the GTK engine. You'll get a dependency error if you try installing the engine first.