PDA

View Full Version : Good OS - gOS - Cloud - etc

TJCIB
January 17th, 2009, 04:23 AM
I stumbled across it at thinkgos.com
I am a little confused as to what it is. I am going to download it and (presumably) jack up a computer this weekend.

So its website says it is based on Ubuntu 8.04. Its screen shots look like just a bunch of customizations that I could make on my own...basically eye-candy for the people who don't want to set it up.

Am I way off? Anyone tried it yet? Any thoughts?

Warren Watts
January 17th, 2009, 04:51 AM
About a year or so ago, Wal-Mart TRIED to market an ultra low-end desktop PC that used gOS.

As far as I know, it was a dismal failure marketing wise and Wal-Mart was quick to stop selling the PC.

Here's a link to an older thread about gOS with some other folks opinions...

gos-desktop (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=650802&highlight=gOS)

Frak
January 17th, 2009, 04:51 AM
It's been around for awhile. In fact, one of our former members administrates their forums. It's a good OS, and it's a good computer.

It's real.

cardinals_fan
January 17th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I found gOS to be one of the worst distros in existence. The first release was horrendously buggy with lame little launchers for web apps, but at least it used E17 and was a bit different and light. Now it's just a blatant OS X-ripoff with Ubuntu, GNOME, and lots of bloat. I always thought the "cloud OS" idea was hopelessly lame, since web apps by definition run on any platform with the necessary plugins/browsers.

If you want a real cloud OS and have a server, check out eyeOS. If not, you can play around with their pretty-but-not-so-useful web version.