PDA

View Full Version : Do you LOVE your OS

uberdonkey5
January 16th, 2009, 11:04 PM
OK, so I have had a few beers, but...

I realised that I was ALWAYS cursing windows for shut downs, being slow, loosing files whatever. I blamed WINDOWS for everything, even if it was my fault and I didn't know it (esp in the heady days of windows 98... seemed to crash every other boot up).

Thing I realised, is when something goes wrong on my linux system I think. what did 'I' do wrong. I have personal responsibility to make sure my system works. If I type something in the bash shell that wipes my hard drive I think 'oh shrek, I am such an idiot'.

I am not dissing windows (ok I am), but windows is like something that is thrown at the user by a commercial company and we all go, this doesn't work, that doesn't work. With linux, even as a non (ish) programmer, I feel PART of the linux community (not just ubuntu :D), not just a hapless receiver of the software. For example...

scenario 1 (windows).
anti-virus keeps saying 'update me', update me, but you have to pay of course

scenario 2 (linux)
hang on, was gonna write something but realise don't have antivirus software on linux. Anyhow, hopefully you can see through my drunken stupor and get the idea...

question is. People think true love is about liking something alot, but really its about feeling responsible for something and caring for it.

Do YOU feel responsible for your system, do you care for it? :D

Maheriano
January 16th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Cheers, b'y!

xpod
January 16th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Re: Do you LOVE your OS

Me thinks you got the beer goggles on:)

73ckn797
January 16th, 2009, 11:13 PM
"hic", wha wash dat u said?

Sand & Mercury
January 16th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I think we're always a bit more patient with the things that we've chosen of our own volition, though I lack the psychology theory to explain why adequately. :lol:

When something goes wrong with my computer, what I blame really depends on my mood. If I'm in a good mood, I will question myself, and if I am in a bad mood, I will just blame everything else.

uberdonkey5
January 16th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Yeh, sometimes when I'm angry I beat the dog until it begs for mercy (of course it has to beg in english).

Only kidding of course.

Its a cat

xarte
January 16th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Actually, yeah. I'm totally hearin' ya, beer goggles and all.

I still get a little buzz of happiness every time I hear Mint's pleasant welcome chime. My desktop is beautiful. I'd found Mint, wasn't sure, did a double check with a couple of the "exes" but when I re-installed and everything went even more smoothly, decided that this was the distro for me.

I'm playing with Conky now. It isn't working yet - mistakes in my script - but I know I'll get it sorted and it will be MINE.

You're so right about community. We all like to feel like we are part of something and not just consumers. Possibly you could find something similar on Windows forums, I don't know.

Next pay, I'm going to make a donation to the Mint site/developers.

JoshuaRL
January 16th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Only kidding of course.

Its a cat

I usually don't use LOL, since I rarely LOL in real life. But this made me chuckle.

But yeah, I agree. Linux kind of gently forces you to take responsibility for your system, for upkeep and the condition. It's one of the many reasons I love Linux.

cammin
January 17th, 2009, 12:37 AM
To the title question, no.

The rest of this thread reminds me of people who stay in abusive relationships.

JoshuaRL
January 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM
To the title question, no.

The rest of this thread reminds me of people who stay in abusive relationships.

Could you elaborate?

73ckn797
January 17th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Back to topic:

I do not love an OS. It does what it does. I know what you mean by what you are asking.

It can only put out what is input. Nothing more, nothing less. It is a tool, a machine driven by software intended to give results as it is programmed to do.

I do "love" that it is free!

chucky chuckaluck
January 17th, 2009, 04:14 AM
OK, so I have had a few beers, but...

that alone earns you a response...

love? no. i'm engaged in it, though. it's kind of like one of those stupid hobbies you ask yourself about "why tf am i doing this?" and the answer is always "ok, just another half hour..."

uberdonkey5
January 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM
OK, so beer out of my system now :D
Yeh, I know what you mean chucky. Infact I always laugh at the fact I spent a whole day taking a few seconds off my boot up time. Did it save time overall? Probably not. But when I tell my fellow windows users that my boot up time is 23 seconds they get very jealous, so that has to be worth it :D

Namtabmai
January 18th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Do I love Linux?

No of course not, I just say that to get it into bed.

adamlau
January 18th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I do not love my OS. I set it up, it runs the way it is supposed to, no need to baby it along, done.

-grubby
January 18th, 2009, 03:34 AM
No, I do not have a relationship with my Operating System.

phrostbyte
January 18th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I love Linux, why won't she return my calls? :(

psycosmyth
January 18th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I consider Linux a passion, you feel part of it good and bad. The fact that it is different from the normal makes it perfect for me.
I have also considered a APA support group since I am guilty as well.
(alcoholic posters anonymous)

DeadSuperHero
January 18th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I enjoy GNU/Linux, but sometimes I like the GNU part more than the kernel part.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, I dunno.

hoopz23
January 18th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Me and Linux are actually planning to get married but Windows just won't cooperate with the divorce papers which is really screwing things up

Mohamedzv2
January 18th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Linux is trying to divorce me cause she don't think I pay enough attention to her. (I'm having an affair with windows)

cammin
January 18th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Could you elaborate?

People keep talking about when linux treats you badly, it's because it's your fault.

(To be fair, I did just get done reading the Arch section of the forums. So it wasn't completely about this thread.)

JoshuaRL
January 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM
People keep talking about when linux treats you badly, it's because it's your fault.

(To be fair, I did just get done reading the Arch section of the forums. So it wasn't completely about this thread.)

Oh, okay. Arch is, um, a fickle beast. I've been told support is kinda like, "Here's a wiki, hope you can hack it noob." But all operating systems have issues and things that go wrong. But I will say that I've had much less problems with Ubuntu than I have with Windows. But to each his own.

73ckn797
January 18th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I enjoy GNU/Linux, but sometimes I like the GNU part more than the kernel part.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, I dunno.

Doesn't that classify as a fetish?:biggrin:

kk0sse54
January 18th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Oh, okay. Arch is, um, a fickle beast. I've been told support is kinda like, "Here's a wiki, hope you can hack it noob." But all operating systems have issues and things that go wrong. But I will say that I've had much less problems with Ubuntu than I have with Windows. But to each his own.

In Arch, People often point newcomers to the wiki because it's clear and precise. The documentation in the beginners guide is clear and easy to follow and even if you don't understand everything it explains what to do and why you are doing it. As for their forums I've never had any problems there, but I think the users there expect you to do a little researching on your own and not just to have everything handed to you on a silver platter.

uberdonkey5
January 19th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Yeh, I suppose Linux is the high maintanance type, but she works well in the house and is free of viruses. Can also get her to shut off pretty quick :D