PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Questions about upgrading Ubuntu Hardy

fooballz
January 16th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hi, I've been happily running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy for some time now with more or less everything working.

My question is that if I upgrade to Intrepid, will programs that I specifically configured and installed to work on Hardy continue to work on Intrepid? (What I mean by this is I installed the .deb packages for programs labelled for Hardy, or if I followed some of the plentiful advice in this forum for fixing problems I copied code from the "Hardy" section). Or will I have to start over and reconfigure everything again? This is more or less the only question holding me back from upgrading.

Thanks!

overdrank
January 16th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Hi, I've been happily running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy for some time now with more or less everything working.

My question is that if I upgrade to Intrepid, will programs that I specifically configured and installed to work on Hardy continue to work on Intrepid? (What I mean by this is I installed the .deb packages for programs labelled for Hardy, or if I followed some of the plentiful advice in this forum for fixing problems I copied code from the "Hardy" section). Or will I have to start over and reconfigure everything again? This is more or less the only question holding me back from upgrading.

Thanks!

If you have a working system why upgrade to Intrepid. Hardy will be supported for 3yrs as it is Long Term Support. :)

Pumalite
January 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
If I have an OS that works, I like and has long support; I stick to it.

snowpine
January 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Theoretically, only applications you installed from the Ubuntu repository will be upgraded. Applications installed through other means (for example, downloading a .deb from a website) will not be affected by the dist-upgrade.

Personally, I am a big fan of a fresh install. When I upgraded to Intrepid on my desktop, I actually set up a dual boot between Hardy and Intrepid so that I could gradually copy things over from the Hardy partition and also fall back on Hardy if something broke in Intrepid. Just my 2 cents...