PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu and Debian

tiiim
January 7th, 2005, 09:02 PM
what is actually the differences between them? obviously there differences but anything major or not?

BWF89
January 7th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Did anyone hear about the new Debian OS? It takes the Debian OS and combines it with a BSD kernal!

In answer to your question: Ubuntu is based on Debian. Except Ubuntu was made under the philosophy that "It should work without doing alot of tinkering"...

TravisNewman
January 8th, 2005, 02:49 AM
You got a link for the debian bsd? I gotta see that one.

zyang
January 8th, 2005, 02:57 AM
debian bsd is nothing, i even saw a debian hurd

EdCrypt
January 8th, 2005, 02:57 AM
You got a link for the debian bsd? I gotta see that one.
http://www.debian.org/ports/#nonlinux

az
January 8th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Debian is a free (as in freedom) operating system based on gnu. It is a general-purpose operating system comprised of something like 12000 packages maintained by volunteer software practitioners from around the world.

Debian releases a stable version every now and then. Development is constant and much changed in between stable releases. A stable release has security updates and support. The testing and unstable versions of debian have no such support.

Ubuntu is a snapshot of debian unstable, which becomes patched and maintained by Canonical. Canonical is a company made up of a few dozen expert debian developers. They aim to have a six-month release cycle with each release getting two years of support. This makes a very appealing mix of new debian packages, but with professional security updates and support.

"Did anyone hear about the new Debian OS? It takes the Debian OS and combines it with a BSD kernal"

Again, it is kernel, not kernal. And he is refering to crosshurd a package that installs a debian gnu system on different architechtures (hurd and bsd kernels). The hurd was in development before linux, so this is not that new.

"debian bsd is nothing, i even saw a debian hurd"

If you get the hurd installed and functionning on one of your computers, I will send you a bottle of Canadian Club whiskey (http://www.canadianclubwhisky.com/)(if you are of drinking age) GOOD LUCK!

(From my big mouth to your's. This offer is extended only to this person and only if proof can be shown by my ssh-ing into his running hurd box. I do not have that many bottles, you see... Offer expires on 05/04/07, i.e: three months from now...)

daniels
January 8th, 2005, 04:20 AM
There are certainly not a 'few dozen' DDs within Canonical -- the full-time Ubuntu team only really numbers around the dozen mark.

TravisNewman
January 8th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Debian BSD isn't that "new" really... and it's not just the crosshurd package, though that may be easier.

I had hurd installed and running about a year ago, but it wasn't exactly stable. at all.

I wouldn't mind faking my name and getting a bottle of the canadian club though ;) Whiskey's not my thing AT ALL, but I'm sure the right kind could change my mind.

az
January 9th, 2005, 03:41 AM
"There are certainly not a 'few dozen' DDs within Canonical -- the full-time Ubuntu team only really numbers around the dozen mark"

My mistake.

"it's not just the crosshurd package"

I had mentioned the crosshurd package in another thread about bsd. That is to what I was refering.

"I had hurd installed and running about a year ago, but it wasn't exactly stable. at all"

That is my point. it not easy to get going. I should have made it harder by insisting s/he use the four hurd install cds instead of crosshurd. It still probably wont run on most hardware. Anyway, it is worth a bottle of Canadian Club to get people talking about the HURD.

tiiim
January 9th, 2005, 01:33 PM
"There are certainly not a 'few dozen' DDs within Canonical -- the full-time Ubuntu team only really numbers around the dozen mark"

My mistake.

"it's not just the crosshurd package"

I had mentioned the crosshurd package in another thread about bsd. That is to what I was refering.

"I had hurd installed and running about a year ago, but it wasn't exactly stable. at all"

That is my point. it not easy to get going. I should have made it harder by insisting s/he use the four hurd install cds instead of crosshurd. It still probably wont run on most hardware. Anyway, it is worth a bottle of Canadian Club to get people talking about the HURD.
we see what the hurd is like in a few years even though the current version is what they classified as "stable" but only certain hardware. But at the moment useless for like general use.... but will HURD be a strong alternative in the future to BSD or Linux?