PDA

View Full Version : Interested in more information....

Zoquara
January 16th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I won't say I've ever loved or even felt a strong liking for any version of Windows... 2000 and XP were the only ones I ever got a very good feel for. I've now got a Compaq w/ Vista on it... and I hate it. Just about the time I start thinking it doesn't totally suck, something just QUITS WORKING. Today/last night, it quit recognizing my iPod dock. Ran updates, tried a different USB port (or 3...).. still nothing.

I've tried out the LiveCD for Ubuntu, and like what I saw... I tried a dual-install, but apparently don't have enough disc space left to do so... or I did something wrong (possible.)

What I'm interested in is some information on how things will work... What I mostly use my computer for is playing video games (mostly World of Warcraft) email, and listening to music. I already use a few things on my computer that come default w/ Ubuntu (Firefox, GIMP) and have heard good things about it. Basically, I'm hesitating to make the commitment. I've looked around some, and have a few questions:

Can I use Ubuntu on my current machine? (Compaq Presario SR5113WM... only thing I've changed is I added RAM)
Will I need drivers or anything to make things work?
How do I go about getting Windows Vista off of my system?
Will things like my iPod work w/ it?

Joeb454
January 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I don't sync my iPod with my Ubuntu machine, but as far as I'm aware (unless it's a really new iPod) it should work with little or no difficulty :) There's plenty of threads on that topic I'm sure.

As for WoW, there's definitely a load of threads dedicated to getting that running under wine, so you'll be fine with that.

For the drivers, could you post some more detailed system specs (graphics card model, etc.). I'd imagine it will work fine, but you can never be too sure, even with Windows :)

snowpine
January 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hi Zoquara,
I've never actually used Vista myself, but my understanding is, you need to use Vista's own partitioning tool to shrink your Windows partition. This will free up some space on the drive and allow you to install a dual boot with Windows/Ubuntu (be sure when installing to choose "largest free space" rather than "entire drive"!!!)

I always recommend dual booting rather than getting rid of Windows entirely. I've found that certain things like some games, the iTunes store, Netflix watch-it-now, etc. just work better in Windows. Overall I use Linux 95% of the time, but I am glad I have Windows to fall back on if I need it. :)

Zoquara
January 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Here's (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5982771#Specifications)the specs on my computer...

Hi Zoquara,
I've never actually used Vista myself, but my understanding is, you need to use Vista's own partitioning tool to shrink your Windows partition. This will free up some space on the drive and allow you to install a dual boot with Windows/Ubuntu (be sure when installing to choose "largest free space" rather than "entire drive"!!!)

I always recommend dual booting rather than getting rid of Windows entirely. I've found that certain things like some games, the iTunes store, Netflix watch-it-now, etc. just work better in Windows. Overall I use Linux 95% of the time, but I am glad I have Windows to fall back on if I need it. :)

I'll look into that, thanks!

snowpine
January 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
If Ubuntu works okay on your computer as a Live CD, it should also work well if you install it.

Zoquara
January 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
The only thing that didn't work (that I noticed) booting from teh CD was videos on websites, but that's as simple as installing a plug-in, so I'm fine with that... I'm just really sick of having something work for months, no changes to anything, and one day it just stops working. Call me simple, but I just want something that WORKS.