PDA

View Full Version : time to move on

DarinB
January 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I am dismayed, although i am Grateful for the hard work of open source developers
BUT it is time to move on and remove Rhythmbox from Ubuntu.
It shuts down in 8.10 after podcast updates and the dev team has turned a deaf ear.
i am moving on... i use gpodder and although not the best it is time to have my needs met and not stick with an application that is not functional.
now if gpodder will add a player so that a play Queue can be made similar to rhythmbox... the benefit is that it does handle video podcasts that rhythmbox does not.
just my thoughts

Murrquan
January 16th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Aw. I like Rhythmbox. Gpodder sounds like fun though.

pizmooz
January 16th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I thought Rhythmbox was unintuitive and buggy. So I likewise removed it. I use gpodder/gnupod and it works well.

rotwang888
January 16th, 2009, 07:40 PM
It also eats up RAM by keeping podcasts in memory even after they've downloaded and the program is closed. Go into system monitor and check the size of "gvfs-http" after Rythmbox has downloaded a podcast or two.

Carl Hamlin
January 16th, 2009, 07:45 PM
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

I've been using Banshee, and so far have no complaints.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEAREDAAYFAklw1Z0ACgkQyLm4ydrABve54gCeLhxXu+usXp iFCfjigMRlNmJk
UOoAn3ylPjQiAuHr9OyNtJMl8s8ImU5K
=WYso
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

pt123
January 16th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I like Rhythmbox, best UI compared to Exile or Banshee, but the development team and process is very lacking. They hardly update their site as to what is coming or get input into what new features they should work on.

uberdonkey5
January 16th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Jes' I am such a bore.. I installed loads of stuff, but I always came back to rhythmbox. Seems intuitive enough for me, but don't use much functionality in other players

DarinB
January 17th, 2009, 04:46 PM
looking at these posts i see that i am not alone...i am really upset after 2 year so f using rhythmbox is is distrassing to have it fall apart and no help when it gets buggy.
any ideas on a way to get a player connected to gpodder like a play queue so i can download my podcasts them play them one after another.

DarinB
January 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM
looking at these posts i see that i am not alone...i am really upset after 2 year so Of using rhythmbox is is distrassing to have it fall apart and no help when it gets buggy.
any ideas on a way to get a player connected to gpodder like a play queue so i can download my podcasts them play them one after another.

Thirtysixway
January 17th, 2009, 06:11 PM
What about songbird?

ushimitsudoki
January 17th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Songbird podcast support is fail.

If they fixed that, I would be all over songbird.

Right now, I'm still on Rhythmbox, but I agree that it is lacking in quite a few areas.