PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to run kde in ubuntu?

ikisham
January 16th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I've installed kde over ubuntu and now have aalll the applications but can't succeed to run the kde desktop. I 'logout', select sessions, then 'kde' (there are some options like 'return to the old session', 'GNOME' etc.), change sessions, but then I must enter the user and the password. But I know only the default user (that's me) and it's default desktop is Gnome.
Should I create another account with Kde by default? How would I do it?
(Btw, when kde was installed it asked if I wanted to have a default DE, that is, Gnome, Kde or none, and I chose Gnome).
Thank you.

PS-I want to run kde since some apps like kdenlive 0.6 just don't work under gnome (yes, I'm just proving apps and ambients).

homeriq5
January 16th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I think your first mistake was installing ubuntu, if you're looking for a total KDE environment you should install Kubuntu, the KDE version of ubuntu :KS.

FIONEX
January 16th, 2009, 06:01 PM
No no, you can run both KDE and gnome on one installation of ubuntu. You were on the right track! You just select "session->KDE" on the login screen, which tells GDM which desktop manager to start when you login. Your user account doesn't default to gnome. When it asked you what you want the default session to be and you said gnome, then every time GDM starts up and you login, it'll go to gnome. So you have to select Session->KDE before every login now. You can change this if you want (let me know if you want to).

ikisham
January 16th, 2009, 07:45 PM
How dumb of me...I just had to type my name and PASSWORD (since usually I log in automatically, I just missed this basic stage..).

The more I come to any forum, more I see how true it is that 'two heads think better than one'.
Thanks.

TreeHugger52
January 16th, 2009, 08:30 PM
You can easily install additional desktop managers (Xfce, fluxbox, openbox etc.) and switch between them using the 'choose session' option when you login. There are lots of options out there- try them out until you find what you like.

Could you please mark this thread as resolved using the thread tools above?

ikisham
January 16th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I would if that option was there..actually it wasn't when I put the last msg and it isn't now. I find that sometimes the forum resources change and it seems it has nothing to do with my browser's settings.

It's showing only 'show printable version', 'email this page', 'subscribe to this thread' & 'add a poll to this thread'.