PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen resolution

simonlugi
January 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I have been running Ubuntu 8.40 for months with no hassle. Couple of days ago as I booted up the system which did a driver check and threw up some odd comments. dont ask what they were but I had to CNTR+D to go back to GRUB and then restart which went back into driver check, back to CNT+D etc.

When I ESC to skip drive check and my desktop resolution will was all incorrect. My NVIDIA driver was gone.
I got the NVIDIA enabled but it still doesnt allow me the correct resolution 1440 x 900. I have had to settle for the closest 1280 x 800.
Can anyone help

ajgreeny
January 16th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I would bet on this being a kernel update which came a few days ago, and requires you to reinstall your nvidia driver. You say you have enabled this, but not whether you reinstalled it through System- Administration-Hardware Drivers, which is what is probably needed. If you did this already, I don't know what else to suggest.

simonlugi
January 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I have been in Hardware drivers and NVIDIA is enabled and the green dot is on saying it in use.Not sure if there is anything eklse I am supposed to do?

oaqster
January 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
try using EnvyNG it's suppose to detect, download & install the appropriate driver for your GPU. supports ATI & NVIDIA cards.
I kindof had this issue when I initially installed my card (GeForce4 MX 4000), nothing worked for me, the default ubuntu "nv" driver as well as a number of drivers from nvidia's web site gave me various issues. EnvyNG was my happy ending.
hope this helps
- oaqster

FIONEX
January 16th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Hey man, look into editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf manually to change the resolution to what you want. Sometimes I find GUI to limit what you can do... Paste your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in here so we can see what's up.

simonlugi
January 17th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks everyone for suggestions. i tried the EnvyNG option which made matters worse. could only get 800 x 600 res. unfortunately got me on a bad day and I really didnt want to spend half my day trying this and that. I loaded fedora 10 and so far its actaully amazed me how well it works and easy getting video and mp3 etc running.
I believe that ajgreeny comment that it has something to do with a kernel upgrade is correct. As a non computer person I really cannot understand how an upgrade can actually makes things get worse. Seems to me that upgrading the kernel is not always a good thing.
Thanks again