PDA

View Full Version : What programming languages do you use ?

Kilon
January 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Vote for the languages you use regularly. Also post what is that you like in these languages and how they fulfill your needs. You can vote more than one language but please stick to the ones you use in a regular base or you think that you are going to use in a regular base.

Kilon
January 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Ok I will go first . I have used a lot of the most common languages . I was mainly a Delphi and C/C++ developer, but now that I own an iMac and use with my pcs UBUNTU I have turned to python/jython/java.

Python --> I have done very minimal stuff with python. I was sold by its syntax which can shorten code 2x to 10x times the code compared to other languages. I do not want to write too much code if I can avoid and plus python libraries seem quite easy to use

Java --> I am impressed by the amount of libraries that are available in JAVA, I was under the impression that java was for the web and the mobile phone but now I see that it is everywhere. Some of the libraries is top notch , like JMonkeyEngine and it is extremely easy to find source code and loads of tutorials. But what sold me with Java is how beautifully it blend with MACOSX .

Jython ---> The ultimate union , python syntax and java libraries. Jython has been my main tool these past weeks and it seems it will remain like this for quite some time.

Wybiral
January 16th, 2009, 10:13 AM
For other, I use scheme, clojure, and Javascript.

Predominately Python and Javascript, everything else is for my "fun" projects or bit-twiddling (in the rare cases I've found myself needing it).

ajackson
January 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I'm currently refreshing my C skills (haven't used it a great deal since my uni days). C# and Java have been used for a couple of projects, one for a small not-for-profit organisation the other is fairly well known amongst Lord of the Rings Online users.

My other entry is good old COBOL, I don't use it much any more but I still have a soft spot for it.

I'm giving serious consideration to having a play with Python, see if it is a good as the hype, initial views are it is a nice compact language.

mike_g
January 16th, 2009, 10:38 AM
For work I do PHP and JS. I rarely feel like coding for fun any more, but when I do I tend to use Python or C. I still like Blitz Basic too.

jespdj
January 16th, 2009, 11:20 AM
My job is programming in Java and JavaScript. I use Ruby sometimes for automating and for quick and small things.

spupy
January 16th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I use Java at work. But I can't say I know it that well, there is much more to learn. (I'm a student btw, not full-time worker). It seems this will be that language that will make most bread for me, but I hold no special love for it, nor find anything amazingly spectacular about it. It has many libraries (although some of them are chaotic and overly complicated, I'd say), good for OOP, etc.

Picked up some C (along with GTK) while tinkering with some linux programs. It will come in handy.

Recently started with python. Loving it for now. Started to replace some of my bash scripts with python scripts with a pygtk gui. Java starts to feel stiff after python. :D

Bash... ;)

A question: why is jpython/ironpython included in the list? Are they so different from normal python? Can't they be considered part of python?

cb951303
January 16th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I have just started to use Vala. To me it's the perfect combination of interpreted and compiled languages. It accepts 2 syntaxes: C#/Java and Python like syntax and then the compiler translates all the code to C with Glib/Gobject calls. It's not stable yet but getting there very fast.

Kilon
January 16th, 2009, 12:39 PM
A question: why is jpython/ironpython included in the list? Are they so different from normal python? Can't they be considered part of python?

Ironpython and Jython , are using 100% python syntax and even alot of the core libraries of python. But jython cannot use python libraries made with C , only libraies made with python and java. So Jython code looks alot like python in syntax but allot of Java as well because it uses the java libraries mostly.

That is why it is so easy to convert Java code to jython. I assume the same happens with ironpython (have not used it ) and the .NET. So I thought they deserve a space of their won. Also I wanted to see how many people use the Python hybrids.

I have just started to use Vala.

Very interesting stuff , thank you for bringing this to my attention.

http://live.gnome.org/Vala/Bindings

A programming language that can call C++ libraries directly with no wrappers and has an easier syntax is definitely a great idea. I hope it has a final release soon. Thanks for sharing this.

hessiess
January 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM
C++ mostly, ocationally PHP.

jimi_hendrix
January 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM
i normally use C/C++...C# for the rare time i need gui

then i toy with just about every language under the sun

(btw if you want more options for languages in the poll you dont need python, jython, and ironpython to take up 3 things...you could have just said python and derivatives)

cb951303
January 16th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Very interesting stuff , thank you for bringing this to my attention.

http://live.gnome.org/Vala/Bindings

A programming language that can call C++ libraries directly with no wrappers and has an easier syntax is definitely a great idea. I hope it has a final release soon. Thanks for sharing this.

I don't know why but the main Vala page doesn't say anything about the Python like syntax. From what I understand Vala compiler is able to understand and translate both syntaxes to C, but Genie (python syntax) has its own page: http://live.gnome.org/Genie

Kilon
January 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM
(btw if you want more options for languages in the poll you dont need python, jython, and ironpython to take up 3 things...you could have just said python and derivatives)

I replied to this before. I wanted to see how many people actually use the python hybrids. Also I consider that ironpython , python and jython three things coming from the same source and going to completely different direction.

I don't know why but the main Vala page doesn't say anything about the Python like syntax. From what I understand Vala compiler is able to understand and translate both syntaxes to C, but Genie (python syntax) has its own page: http://live.gnome.org/Genie

can it import python libraries directly ?

cb951303
January 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM
can it import python libraries directly ?

I don't think so, since both syntaxes translates to C in the end.

CptPicard
January 16th, 2009, 08:00 PM
You're missing all the lisps...

nvteighen
January 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM
C, Python, Scheme and a slightly increasing use of Perl.

cardinals_fan
January 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM
You add ironpython but not Perl? What madness is this?

Simian Man
January 16th, 2009, 08:25 PM
And Ocaml (http://caml.inria.fr/). Definately recommended!

gjoellee
January 16th, 2009, 08:29 PM
HTML
PHP
JavaScript

are the they I know best, I can edit, but not write programs written in languages as Python

aszxcv
January 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM
java
php

Bachstelze
January 16th, 2009, 08:53 PM
C, Python, PHP and a bit of Haskell.

crazyfuturamanoob
January 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
C, a bit of C++ and Python.

kavon89
January 16th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Three options for python?

Java & C++

imdano
January 16th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Perl and C++ at work.
Python with a little bit of C (Python extension module work) for the OSS projects I work on.
Python again if I'm just throwing together a script for myself.

slavik
January 16th, 2009, 11:02 PM
you missed Perl :(

Wybiral
January 16th, 2009, 11:22 PM
you missed Perl :(

Nobody missed Perl :p

Reiger
January 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Recently been doing quite a bit of work in JavaScript, and XSLT.

Mr.Macdonald
January 17th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I prefer the better more powerful set of languages
In order of like

1. C - General Hack Power Coding
2. Lisp/Python - Intense High Level Smart Languages (Scheme)
3. C++ - C with some powerful yet annoying (at times) features
4. Prolog - Crazy Cool, but I haven't figured out how to script
5. Bash/Awk - General IO language
6. Java - Cross Platform, yet not very Unix friendly in My experiance

Future Languages

Ada - Apperantly very cool
Lua - Looks Cool
Fortran - Old

wmcbrine
January 17th, 2009, 02:03 AM
C and C++ are different languages. Python, Jython and IronPython are not.

samjh
January 17th, 2009, 03:29 AM
A very strange grouping of languages. C and C++ should be separate. All the Python variants should be together. Perl needs to be up there.

Anyway, for me at the moment:
C++
Python
Ada

Alasdair
January 17th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I am currently use Java at university for my programming courses and Haskell for anything non-university related (although I've been told I will get to use Haskell in my second year). I used to use Common Lisp a lot, but anything Lisp can do Haskell usually does better, so I don't really use Lisp much anymore.

-grubby
January 17th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Python and PHP, mostly.

Sorivenul
January 17th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Mostly C and Python, Scheme also. I work with Java, but only when I have to.

brunovecchi
January 17th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I use Perl for bioinformatic projects. Quite odd that it isn't up as an option.

DevilzDriv3r
January 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM
i mainly use python and octave. python is for programming simple and handy tools for making my life in ubuntu easier and octave for making math classes more understandable.

jimi_hendrix
January 17th, 2009, 04:01 PM
thank you for giving me a great idea

nvteighen
January 17th, 2009, 04:25 PM
thank you for giving me a great idea
Ok, spit it out. What's your idea? ;)

Reiger
January 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM
A very strange grouping of languages. C and C++ should be separate. All the Python variants should be together. Perl needs to be up there.

Anyway, for me at the moment:
C++
Python
Ada

I think the grouping was done according to what the OP uses/has used + the most common languages on the forum. Altough you can argue that Jython which is a crossover of Java & Python (you can actually code Java in Jython and vice versa) can be seen as an example of a very specific paradigm -- the idea of a common platform to use multiple languages within.

Cracauer
January 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I mainly use Common Lisp and C++. When I use Common Lisp at work I tend to pick C++ for private projects and vice versa. Of course I'd never pick C++ for work unless payed by time :) Anyway...

I never gotten much into the real scripting languages. I know perl best of the scripting languages but the moment you want to speed things up just a little bit thing get too messy. E.g. when you want/have to use references instead of copying strings when passing as argument (WTF?). I liked Ruby better than Python when I tried both for some charting/graphics projects but neither stuck. I'd never use a language that doesn't have CPU-using threads for anything important.

I have a long history of bourne shell programming and I can bring it close enough to only leave a moderate gap to C++. I even did an OCR software in /bin/sh (fixed fonts only), since then it's more of a sport. I wouldn't recommend duplicating this path but I have a large base of reusable knowledge now.

I always wanted to re-examine scsh (the Scheme shell) and implement some of the ideas in a C++ template library to make a C++ scripting engine to close the gap some more, this time from the C++ side.

I spend a lot of time in plain C due to OpenSource programming work. In fact there are large parts of ANSI C++ that I don't like and prefer plain C, namely when it comes to strings and streams. Don't like Common Lisp streams either. Byzantine stream designs are the devil.

I have learned many, many languages in the 1990ties and found people to pay me for coding in it (even Smalltalk) but when code hits silicon I always opted for something tight and controllable.

Tony Flury
January 17th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I use python - primarily becuase i can rapidly prototype applications and it is fast enough in terms of development, and run time,
The libraries are also incredibly powerful.

Kilon
January 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I think the grouping was done according to what the OP uses/has used + the most common languages on the forum. Altough you can argue that Jython which is a crossover of Java & Python (you can actually code Java in Jython and vice versa) can be seen as an example of a very specific paradigm -- the idea of a common platform to use multiple languages within.

I have repeated it 3 times already but do not mind to repeat it again.

I put up jython and ironpython separately because i want to see how many people actually use them. That is all. If I did not want it then yes they would have been together with python.

Martin Witte
January 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Next to C++ and Python I use perl and shell scripting (most ksh). Depending what the policy of the company I work for is Python and perl switch position.

CodeBird
January 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I use php every day (web developer) I use java every now and then

jimi_hendrix
January 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM
i am learning scheme now...i love it!

ibuclaw
January 17th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Perl, Perl, Perl, Perl, Perl :)

I also do C, C++, Lex, Bison++, and the programming language that I wrote using those tools (has no real name yet) ;)

New language a learning... Will probably be PHP/Haskell ... whichever one I get round to doing first.

Regards
Iain

tenach
January 17th, 2009, 08:59 PM
PHP is the primary language I code in, but am branching out into C/C++ as needed for a development team I'm on. Oh, and Lua, but I believe Lua is more scripting than coding (correct me if I'm wrong).

jimi_hendrix
January 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
PHP is the primary language I code in, but am branching out into C/C++ as needed for a development team I'm on. Oh, and Lua, but I believe Lua is more scripting than coding (correct me if I'm wrong).

lua is a language

ryachza
January 17th, 2009, 10:06 PM
C# (primarily ASP.NET), PHP, and JS.

I like C# because of how easy it is to go back and forth between desktop (in my case, for database management utilities) and web-app back-end.

I like PHP for its flexibility, the fact that there seems to be a function for everything (and they are all fairly intuitive), and not having to compile.

JavaScript is just plain fun.

In my spare time I have been playing with Java and C++.

Java just seems so similar to C# (or vice versa, but I learned C# first), and C++...eventually I'll figure it out (hopefully).

JupiterV2
January 18th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I use C and BASH script mainly. Occasionally, I use C++.

namegame
January 18th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Java just seems so similar to C# (or vice versa, but I learned C# first), and C++...eventually I'll figure it out (hopefully).

My knowledge of computer history isn't that great, but if I remember correctly. Java and C# were being developed at the same time. Sun and Microsoft were competing so they "stole" from each other.

I know it's not a huge indication of similarity but just look:

Java

class HelloWorld {
static public void main( String args[] ) {
System.out.println( "Hello World!" );
}
}

C#

using System;

class HelloWorld
{
public static int Main(String[] args)
{
Console.WriteLine("Hello, World!");
return 0;
}
}

Sorivenul
January 18th, 2009, 03:07 AM
My knowledge of computer history isn't that great, but if I remember correctly. Java and C# were being developed at the same time. Sun and Microsoft were competing so they "stole" from each other.
Technically, I believe Java was released circa 1995, and C# around 2001-2002. I could be wrong.

namegame
January 18th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Technically, I believe Java was released circa 1995, and C# around 2001-2002. I could be wrong.

You are correct. I found this on wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt.

In 1996, Sun Microsystems released the Java programming language with Microsoft soon purchasing a license to implement it in their operating system. Java was originally meant to be a platform independent language, but Microsoft, in their implementation, broke their license agreement and made a few changes that would essentially inhibit Java's platform-independent capabilities. Sun filed a lawsuit and Microsoft settled, deciding to create their own version of a partially compiled, partially interpreted object-oriented programming language with syntax closely related to that of C++.

So, Microsoft basically took Java/C++, made their improvements and called it C#.

After a little more digging, it looks like Microsoft settled this lawsuit with Sun in 2001, which lines up with the release of C#. :P

slavik
January 18th, 2009, 03:51 AM
that was J++

bruce89
January 18th, 2009, 04:11 AM
So, Microsoft basically took Java/C++, made their improvements and called it C#.

If I'm right, C# is Java with properties as a way to get around all the boring getter and setter nonsense.

GNOME nicked C# and came up with Vala.

I have used C, Vala and Java. I tried to understand C++ earlier today, but I found it as clear as mud.

wmcbrine
January 18th, 2009, 05:03 AM
So, Microsoft basically took Java/C++, made their improvements and called it C#.No, they called it J++. C# came later. They were related, though, in that the failure of the former led to the latter.

It wasn't just improvements, either -- J++ left out some things that were in Sun Java.

jpkotta
January 18th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I regularly use C (not C++), Octave/Matlab, Python, and Bash. Last week I had to learn some R and OpenOffice Basic.

Tomosaur
January 18th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I have to use C# at work, but I would rather use something else. Mostly because I don't particularly like Visual Studio, I have to say.

Sprut1
January 18th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Python - batteries included!
Earlier I used PHP quite a bit for webpages.

NinjaWork
January 19th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I do web apps, so Perl, Python, PHP.

unoodles
January 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Python,C++,C
x86(_32) Assembly (intel syntax).

muntasir_120
January 19th, 2009, 11:05 PM
C, C++, Java, Python and a little bit of perl :).

jmartrican
January 20th, 2009, 03:57 AM
C++. I feel comfortable in it. I am training myself to do the easy things that interpreted languages are known for with C++ while still having the capabilities to take on massive projects. It feels like a truck/sports car with the top down. The Boost lib feels like a turbo charger on top of that.

I think Perl was left out to make a statement. This list is very Python biased. It just makes me not want to even try it.

I would have thought that Java would have been top on the list.

Wybiral
January 20th, 2009, 04:25 AM
It just makes me not want to even try it.

You prejudge programming languages based on some poll on some random forum?

jmartrican
January 20th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I'm jk. I actually dont have the time for it, but maybe in the future.

CptPicard
January 20th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I am training myself to do the easy things that interpreted languages are known for with C++ while still having the capabilities to take on massive projects.

Interestingly, this touches closely on the core issue in the various high vs. low level threads that typically those who don't do HLLs can't grok because it's simply something they have not yet played with -- instead, they resort to suggesting that HLL use is "just calling into libraries" and all that.

The point is that C++ still remains essentially C++ no matter how much library you write for it. This holds true for pretty much all other static-typed compiled languages. There just simply are things that genuinely require runtime support, and what you would have to do in C++ or any other such language, is to actually write some sort of evaluation function for internal data structures... and at this point you have reinvented Lisp (poorly), which tends to for some reason always happen when your project gets big enough... ;)

And in this day and age of in particular distributed computation, I'd rather tackle a massive project in a HLL as that will allow me to tackle more of the project in less time, preferably using, say, a pure-functional parallel-map function over a big cluster... ;) (which is doable in C++ certainly, but will require a LOT more library and runtime engine than a language that is built for purpose from scratch..)

Wybiral
January 20th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I'm jk. I actually dont have the time for it, but maybe in the future.

Sorry, humor is hard to detect in text and I've seen people give stranger reasons for not using HLLs...

jmartrican
January 20th, 2009, 05:36 AM
distributed computation

Is this what you do for a living? What language you use and do you use any libs specifically designed for this? Any good links?

CptPicard
January 20th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Is this what you do for a living?

"Not yet"... it is possible though. I just lack the cluster so for the time being I just need to be happy with 4 cores on single box... ;)

What language you use and do you use any libs specifically designed for this? Any good links?

Look at Data Parallel Haskell for example. In general, pure-functionality produces parallelizable solutions much more easily than other languages.

Kilon
January 20th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I feel comfortable in it. I am training
I think Perl was left out to make a statement. This list is very Python biased. It just makes me not want to even try it.

It is a conspiracy , you are brainwashed into using python!!!!!

RUN FOREST RUNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brunovecchi
January 20th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I don't think Perl was left out on purpose, I guess the OP didn't know much about it.

He should though ;) Perl is awesome.

MaxIBoy
January 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM
You forgot SH!