PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade issues.

birdmartin
January 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Hello, Ussually my updates take 20 -40 minutes. A couple days ago I went to install my updates and it was taking longer than i anticipated or could wait at the time. So i closed out of it. Since i did that i cannot connect to the internet let alone my own network or network settings. Everytime i try to reload the updates this error comes up:

"An error occured.
The following details are provided:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure - a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open()failes, please report."

Please help!!

iaculallad
January 16th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Do as the error message say's. On your terminal, issue the command:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

EDIT: And, don't worry if the characters you're inputting does not echo back on your monitor (for security purpose). Just enter your password and hit the Enter key.

birdmartin
January 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM
You're going to laugh at my ignorance ... how do i issue a command from my terminal? Pull out the puppets and explain it as if you were tryin to explain it to a 6 year old please. :p

Partyboi2
January 16th, 2009, 01:09 PM
You're going to laugh at my ignorance
Just a learning curve :)

To open a terminal on the top panel click on "Applications" then go to "Accessories" on the drop down menu and click on "Terminal" then enter the command as iaculallad has posted remembering that when you enter your password you will not see it displayed on screen.

birdmartin
January 17th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks alot, both of you. : )

birdmartin
January 18th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I did that and then it went through a bunch of update loading and eventually got to this message at the bottom ..

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
Ldconfig deffered processing now taking place
processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-lpia
Errors were encountered while processing:
capplets-data

birdmartin
January 18th, 2009, 05:12 AM
updated then rebooted ... then another error occured.

W: Failed to fetch http://dell-mini.archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/deskbar-applet/deskbar-applet_2.22.3-0ubuntu1_lpia.deb
Could not resolve 'dell-mini.archive.canonical.com'

Then a bunch of the same error underneath it repeated.

Partyboi2
January 18th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Would you please be able to post the whole output to

sudo dpkg --configure -a seems that there is a problem with capplets-data package.

birdmartin
January 18th, 2009, 05:31 AM
How would i find the whole output for that? I edited my previous post with the new error that is occuring at the moment.