PDA

View Full Version : 3+ booting

towsonu2003
December 15th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Just wanted to know whether it is common for people to 3+ boot (have 3 or more operating systems / distributions installed) and why thet 3+ boot and how their experience with that is. Also, do you use the same /home/user for all the booting systems?

To clarify (u know - not native speaker..), I'm looking to hear experiences of people who have a computer with stuff like Fedora + Ubuntu + Windows + something + whatever. Also, would like to know whether they are using the same ~/ for Fedora+Ubuntu+whatever...

And finally, which one (Fedora?Ubuntu?Windows?Whatever?) do you use as the default one? -- thanks

Qrk
December 15th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I've had three OS's on at a time. In fact, they were Fedora, Ubuntu and Windows. I liked Ubuntu the best, so it was the default one.

I wouldn't share a home directory between Fedora and Ubuntu, though. I used a separate partition labled ~/documents in which I stored all my files between the two Linux Distros.

While its fine to keep the same ~/ between upgrades; there is so much configuration stored in there (all those hidden files) that some of them are bound to conflict. Not to mention that Fedora defaults to different permissions in the ~/ than Ubuntu.

The only problem I ran into is that Fedora and Ubuntu could configure Grub to see windows, but had a harder time seeing each other. So everytime I reinstalled Fedora, I had to manually change grub.

earobinson
December 15th, 2005, 07:19 PM
at one point i had 4, now the max I do is 2

towsonu2003
December 15th, 2005, 11:53 PM
at one point i had 4
how did they play with each other?

BWF89
December 15th, 2005, 11:55 PM
There was a guy on the now defunct Linux Times forums that had 9 OS's at once.

-Rick-
December 16th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Just wanted to know whether it is common for people to 3+ boot (have 3 or more operating systems / distributions installed) and why thet 3+ boot and how their experience with that is. Also, do you use the same /home/user for all the booting systems?

To clarify (u know - not native speaker..), I'm looking to hear experiences of people who have a computer with stuff like Fedora + Ubuntu + Windows + something + whatever. Also, would like to know whether they are using the same ~/ for Fedora+Ubuntu+whatever...

And finally, which one (Fedora?Ubuntu?Windows?Whatever?) do you use as the default one? -- thanks

I got 5 OS'es....Win XP, Gentoo, Ubuntu, FreeBSD and NetBSD.
FreeBSD is my main OS, NetBSD is there for...compiling NetBSD bins, Gentoo and Ubuntu incase I want to go back to linux and Win XP for the very odd case I need it.
I use a seperate home dir for every OS.

earobinson
December 16th, 2005, 01:04 AM
how did they play with each other?
very nice all had there own home however, if i did it again they would all shair the same home

UbuWu
December 16th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I have:
- Windows XP
- Ubuntu Dapper
- Ubuntu Breezy

It is working great. Both Ubuntu's share the temp partition, but I rarely use breezy anymore...