PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver offline on Ubuntu 8.10

Gilbert2
January 16th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 on a PC with an ASUS Radeon 9600SE graphics card but no Internet. If I go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers, a Hardware Drivers window appears indicating that the ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver is not activated. If I click Activate, then enter my password, it simply returns to the Hardware Drivers window, apparently because there is no Internet connection.

How do I go about installing this driver offline? Also, how do I uninstall it afterwards and return to the previous drivers if I decide I don't like them for whatever reason? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gilbert2
January 30th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Never mind, I eventually figured it out. By the way, I forgot to mention that the machine's architecture is i386. Anyway, for the curious:

1. On a PC that does have Internet, I downloaded the following from packages.ubuntu.com:
- dkms_2.0.20.4-0ubuntu2_all.deb
- fglrx-kernel-source_8.543-0ubuntu4_i386.deb
- xorg-driver-fglrx_8.543-0ubuntu4_i386.deb
2. I installed each of them from a terminal window (in the order listed above) using 'sudo dpkg -i <package_name>.deb'
3. I went into System > Administration > Hardware drivers. With "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver" highlighted, I clicked Activate & entered my password.
4. Rebooted.
5. Initially, the display was a bit wacky. I couldn't see the top menu bar (or whatever it's called) in order to change my resolution. I vaguely remembered that ctrl-alt-minus (or plus) could change the resolution, so I tried that. I finally saw the top menu bar and switched to the resolution I wanted via the menus.

And that was it! The new driver seems to be working perfectly fine. The hardest part was determining what packages to get.

jpope
February 6th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Thanks.
I had the same issue before finding this post. Worked perfectly with my Acer Aspire.