PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 upgrade grub issues

NJ0E
January 16th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I upgraded with a full install form 8.04 to 8.10. used a new burn of Live CD. Everything went ok, I think. I noticed on the grub that 8.04 and 8.04 rescue are still listed. 8.10 is not listed at all. I also have the D-Link wireless modemthat is supposed to be in the kernel and work "out of the box". it doesn't. Should I use gparted and wipe the install and reinstall ? I am dual booted with *******. I hae a total of 4 partitions: 1 swap 2096 k, 1 ntfs @5800 k, 1 ntfs @ 11,000k and a "storage" area @ 8000 k. (Sized are guestimates -- not at the computer now.) I had hardy heron working fine until I somehow managed to get debian files mixed in with ubuntu files on an update.

i know that this is two or three different things.

Joe

utnubuuser
January 16th, 2009, 07:58 AM
hey NJOE -- Was 8.04 detected when you installed? (At some point during the install, were you asked about importing settings and documents from XP and 8.04)?
If yes, then it's probably just a matter of making an entry to your grub file.

zvacet
January 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM
You can not upgrade with live CD.You can do fresh install?Dd you do that?If you do you should be able to see new grub entry.

fdsik -l

and post it here.

Did you add some Debian repo to your source list?Mixing repos is not good practice.

zvacet
January 16th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Can you write how you solved it,because it can be helpful to others.

NJ0E
January 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
Was solved when I took a look at the disk that I burnt with what I thought was 8.10, was actually 8.04. Basically I reset everyting to base settings for 8.04. I ahve since tried to reburn a "known 8.10" copy to CD from ISO. I have wasted three CDs. Gave up and will wait for my CD in the mail.

Joe