PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help me get driver from 8.10 to 8.04?

hoboboot
January 16th, 2009, 12:22 AM
im currently running hardy (8.04) and i have never been able to get my display working right, the drivers i got just gave a black screen so i've been stuck in vesa mode for the whole time, and well, i just got the intrepid ibex (8.10) cd in the mail, and ran the live edition, noticed that my video works, direct rendering=yes ! glx gears is at 850 frames instead of 25-40 frames under vesa...

basically i'd even install intrepid and then go through setting up my sound and wireless bull, all over again, just to get that working, but then i have this display issue where my resolution is too big, again... 1600x1200 which is like off the screen cause i have a 1280x768 laptop so... basically i fixed that under 8.04 on vesa, but i fixed it with this tool "screens and graphics" i added to the "other" menu in "applications" aka displayconfig-gtk but in ibex if i try to add it to the other menu, its not an option, and if i open terminal and type
$ gksu displayconfig-gtk it doesnt open that options screen for me to change the monitor and configure all the stuff? is that because im running it from a live cd, or is it not in 8.10 anymore?

i REALLY WANT my display driver to be whatever its at in ibex off the live cd but i have no idea how to get the driver from it, and set it up in hardy, and or, if i should switch to 8.10 whats the diff between 8.04 and 8.10 besides one has longer support time?

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP SO THAT I CAN HAVE MYSELF A WORKING DISPLAY WITH COMPIZ AND ETC.... ( I KNOW ABOUT THE WHITELIST, ETC, I JUST CANT FIGURE ALL THIS PRIOR MENTIONED STUFF OUT. ) THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Partyboi2
January 17th, 2009, 02:54 AM
$ gksu displayconfig-gtk it doesnt open that options screen for me to change the monitor and configure all the stuff? is that because im running it from a live cd, or is it not in 8.10 anymore? It is not available for Intrepid. Have you tried going to System>Pref>Screen Resolution and making the adjustments? Also what graphics card are you using?