PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP! Again...

kikizing3
January 16th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I have just installed a dual-boot of Ubuntu 8.10 and Windows XP. Windows XP was already installed. I have two hard drives, an 80 GB one with windows installed on it and a 750 GB one with 4 partitions: Two large NTFS patitions, a 50 GB one that ubuntu is installed on, and a swap partition for the ubuntu install. There were no errors during the install.

Yet, when I boot up the computer, go into the boot menu(not GRUB. the actual built-in boot menu) select the 750 GB one, the screen stays black with a command-line interface, then quickly goes into Windows XP's loading screen.

It appears that the GRUB boot menu isn't loading. Not even showing up at all. I checked the ubuntu partition from my live cd and it is perfectly fine.

What do I need to do?

utnubuuser
January 16th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Sound like an unusual setup. Someone posted a thread today or yesterday extolling the virtues of a free grub/partition manager tool that can handle these kinds of setup.
I'm sorry, but I can't remember the name off hand, but it might have been Perdition or something similar, but the posting was within the last two days.
You could also try SuperGrub.