PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] screen resolution change=diagonal screen

UberHank
January 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Hey folks. I just upgraded my wife's computer to 8.10 in the hopes her video card (Radeon 9800) would run as well as mine (Radeon x1950) did when I upgraded. I get Intrepid installed, activate the restricted drivers, and reboot. When it comes back up it tells me it is in low graphics mode-- fine. Resolution after logging in is something ridiculous, 1280x1024 I think. That won't work with her monitor, way to high, so I changed it to something lower-- don't remember what and cannot see now.

After the pretty login screen, the desktop is slanted: upper left seems in the right place, but the right side is about 1/3rd of the way down the screen and everything else is blurry as heck. This happened after I tried to change the resolution. :confused:

I've scoured the forums for a solution but I am not sure what the problem even is! I've reconfigured my xorg.conf a billion ways (okay, billion is a bit much) but even with a very basic one the screen is still messed up. ](*,)

Any suggestions? Thanks.

utnubuuser
January 16th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Remove --purge the driver and re-install?

UberHank
January 20th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Yeah, that is what I thought and tried to do (I think). If you can give me step by step how to do that, I will try again. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Chuck

UberHank
January 20th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Hmm...

Well, I got the graphics to work by replacing my xorg.conf with one called xorg.conf.failsafe.bak. Interesting... Now it is seemingly working as before. Thanks!