PDA

View Full Version : YouTube strips sound from music videos

|eafhound
January 15th, 2009, 10:37 PM
http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/275149.html?aff=rss

If you have come across a silent video on YouTube recently there may be little point in adjusting your computer's volume.

YouTube has started testing a new way of combating copyright violations by removing audio.

The video-sharing giant, owned by Google, is stripping videos, such as this version of Kiss from a Rose by Seal, of audio leaving only a silent video.

A message from YouTube accompanying the video reads: "This video contains an audio track that has not been authorised by all copyright holders. The audio has been disabled."

YouTube's actions have provoked a torrent of criticism on the website. One viewer wrote: "YouTube is getting really annoying. Removing just the audio or taking the whole video. They have ruined many of my playlists."

The company patrols the site, using technology that 'fingerprints' audio tracks. If the audio infringes copyright law it notifies users giving them the choice between removing the file or inserting ads.

daverich
January 15th, 2009, 10:46 PM
hmm

as i understood it YouTube had settled a deal with ascap/PRS to deal with licensing issues?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Dixon Bainbridge
January 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Oh, the irony. Youtube is one of the greatest marketing tools on the planet, and record companies are requesting their artists are borked on the site, or removed. Hilarious. Record companies deserve to go bust.

MikeTheC
January 16th, 2009, 01:30 AM
"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingertips."

Polygon
January 16th, 2009, 05:27 AM
oh, the irony. Youtube is one of the greatest marketing tools on the planet, and record companies are requesting their artists are borked on the site, or removed. Hilarious. Record companies deserve to go bust.

+1

Grant A.
January 16th, 2009, 05:33 AM
+1

+2

chucky chuckaluck
January 16th, 2009, 05:38 AM
If the audio infringes copyright law it notifies users giving them the choice between removing the file or inserting ads.

inserting ads? what does that even mean?

"let it be, let it be... having trouble in the bathroom? ask your doctor about prescription flomax. let it be, yeah, let it be. whisper words of wisdom, let it be (etc.)"

Polygon
January 16th, 2009, 05:41 AM
probably an advertisement that plays right before the video starts.

ubuntu-freak
January 16th, 2009, 05:50 AM
+2

+3

I also hope FremantleMedia go bust, they're just yuck.

bonfire89
January 16th, 2009, 05:58 AM
+3

+4

Ptero-4
January 16th, 2009, 06:11 AM
+4
+5

Skripka
January 16th, 2009, 06:11 AM
"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingertips."

Truer words have not been spoken.

The same is true in the realm sheet music, not just recorded music. The more difficult one makes it to get a hold of music-the less it will be played, the less the music will sell, the less the composer makes...which is the pinnacle of irony since that was the point of clamping down in the 1st place-to make money.

smartboyathome
January 16th, 2009, 06:51 AM
This is sad. If things get much worse, the RIAA may become more fearful. I guess other sites will always be available though. :(

The same is true in the realm sheet music, not just recorded music. The more difficult one makes it to get a hold of music-the less it will be played, the less the music will sell, the less the composer makes...which is the pinnacle of irony since that was the point of clamping down in the 1st place-to make money.

Very true. My music teacher plays all her own music because of all the people around here who patrol everything and try to find every fine they can get. Its so flawed that the musicians don't get changed (at least not here), the place the musician hosts does. It almost drove one guy out of business here. :(

sanderella
January 16th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Yes, I noticed this today when I tried to listen to a Salvation Army band playing a hymn. Just annoying, frustrating and ridiculous. :mad:

Of course I listened to the hymn very nicely on another website.:guitar: