PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing on a portable hardrive

ACF1
January 15th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Does this way of installing Ubuntu to a portable hardrive work well? LINK (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ubuntu-810-install-using-the-built-in-usb-installer/) And if so, does it to anything to my existing computer? Or is it all self contained on the portable? Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

utnubuuser
January 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Running from a USB flash drive can work quite well. And no, your existing OS is un-altered; When done, click shut-down, remove the USB, re-start into your original system.

Not all machines are able to boot from USB.

ACF1
January 15th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Mine should boot from USB. Just to make sure, (cause I can't mess this computer up) this procedure does not mess with anything on my computer? Correct?

ACF1
January 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Question for you guys: I looked into my BIOS and it only has three options to boot from, CD drive, Harddrive, and Realtek boot agent. What is the "Network: Realtek boot Agent"? And does this mean I can not boot from USB? Thanks.

ACF1
January 16th, 2009, 06:15 PM
No thoughts on this one guys? Thanks.

timcredible
January 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM
the boot from usb option won't show up unless you have a drive plugged into a usb port.

ACF1
January 16th, 2009, 09:19 PM
the boot from usb option won't show up unless you have a drive plugged into a usb port.

I did have the drive plugged in when I rebooted. Still nothing. Oh well. How about the "installing in windows" option? How good does that work? Can viruses and stuff get on my windows anyway? Thanks.

ACF1
January 17th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I am really thinking about doing the "installing in windows" option. What are your guys' opinions about that method? Can viruses get into the Windows? How does it use harddrive space? Etc. Thanks.

ACF1
January 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM
I am really thinking about doing the "installing in windows" option. What are your guys' opinions about that method? Can viruses get into the Windows? How does it use harddrive space? Etc. Thanks.

Guys, does no one have an answer to this stuff? Not trying to be annoying, but yeah.