PDA

View Full Version : Blender and Crystal Space

thefiestysoldier
January 15th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I am working on a small game, I want to use Blender for modeling and animation and crystal space as an engine, I have seen the Blender plugin to output Crystal Space models, the deb files appear to be outdated, will the still work?

meatpan
January 16th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Both Blender and Crystal Space have complicated dependencies, and contain modules that are frequently updated. Consider using the latest versions from their web-sites, and be prepared to check the forums for troubleshooting info (particularly with Crystal Space).

thefiestysoldier
January 16th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the response, I have Blender installed just fine, I went to the Crystal Space to Blender plugin site, installed the repository (it hasn't been updated since Edgy):confused: and installed the plugin. It did not work (probably since it was outdated):mad:. Is there any way you or anyone else can help me (or at least tell me whether the project is dead or not):confused:, or should I go to the Crystal Space forums (I guess I will either way...)

hessiess
January 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Ask on blenderartists.org, im sure that someone there will know, as YoFrankie used cristalspace.

Cracauer
January 16th, 2009, 10:28 PM
CS itself is a little on the back burner. You didn't mention why you picked CS so I don't know whether you have "hard" reasons. But if you don't you might want to look at Ogre, too.

Not they don't have difficulties keeping the Linux port up-to-date, too...

thefiestysoldier
January 17th, 2009, 02:26 AM
My friend and I are just making a game or 2 on the side, he is doing most of the programming and I am doing most of the modeling, it was hids idea to use crystal space so I just figured he could program it easier than the blender engine. can ogre use blender models?

hessiess
January 17th, 2009, 07:52 AM
My friend and I are just making a game or 2 on the side, he is doing most of the programming and I am doing most of the modeling, it was hids idea to use crystal space so I just figured he could program it easier than the blender engine. can ogre use blender models?

*Anything* can use blender models as long as you can export to it, and as blender has a lot of exporters built in, and many more on the web this is unlickly to be a problem;).

Cracauer
January 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM

Yes.
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Tools:_Blender

But I haven't done it myself, so YMMV.

Kilon
January 17th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I am working on a small game, I want to use Blender for modeling and animation and crystal space as an engine, I have seen the Blender plugin to output Crystal Space models, the deb files appear to be outdated, will the still work?

you can use JmonkeyEngine with jython. (100% python , syntax , can call Java libraries , C/C++ python libraries cannot be used)

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/

thefiestysoldier
January 18th, 2009, 07:35 PM
you can use JmonkeyEngine with jython. (100% python , syntax , can call Java libraries , C/C++ python libraries cannot be used)

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/

Do you mean that as an alternative game engine?

Kilon
January 19th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Do you mean that as an alternative game engine?

Jython is actually a version of python that does not use python libraries which are usually made with C/C++ only python libraries using pure python , and mainly JAVA libraries. No need for extra coding you can use any JAVA library directly as you would do with JAVA.

jMonkeyEngine is an excellent JAVA 3d engine, which you can use , yes as you main game engine. It looks pretty impressive.