PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost title and status bars in some KDE apps.

alex777
January 15th, 2009, 10:36 AM
There are no title and status bars in Krusader, Akregator and Dolphin, which is irritating - I can't minimize or «unmaximize» these applications for example. Moreover when I run these applications I don't see the Gnome Panels on the top and on the bottom - these applications seem to run sort of «full screen». Other Gnome and KDE applications on my system (K3b, Smplayer, Ktorrent) run Ok.

It happened after I changed a couple of settings in my Compiz configuration (I wanted to «pin» my task list to the desktop and I did so: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6552170). But maybe these events are not connected, I don't know. What can I do?

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10.

Vinci71
January 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM
There are no title and status bars in Krusader, Akregator and Dolphin, which is irritating - I can't minimize or «unmaximize» these applications for example. Moreover when I run these applications I don't see the Gnome Panels on the top and on the bottom - these applications seem to run sort of «full screen». Other Gnome and KDE applications on my system (K3b, Smplayer, Ktorrent) run Ok.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10.

Same here, but I just upgraded to the last packages in 8.10. I didn't made any change to Compiz settings. I experienced this problem with KMail and Krusader, while K3b, Klibido and other seems to work fine.

alex777
January 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
It's a Compiz bug. If you disable Compiz window titles are back again (Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects -> None).

But I hope someone suggests a better solution because I need Compiz.

alex777
January 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I've found a better workaround until they fix this bug. Just start your glitchy KDE applications UNMAXIMIZED, and you'll see the window titles. But never maximize them, or the problem will be back.

eyelessfade
January 16th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Actually I don't have the problem on kde-nightly so I guess the bug might be in kde.

prince_niceguy
March 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM
seems this resolves the issue...

Uncheck the checkbox located at:
System -> Preferences -> CompizConfig Settings Manager -> Utility -> Workarounds -> Legacy Fullscreen Support

thanks to this thread (https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdepim/+question/61586)...

walter_j
March 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
This problem happens without compiz, and often happens to firefox in gnome. I found if you delete the rc file in ~/.kde/share/config for the app, the app generates a new rc with borders. The issue also happens in firefox, so you have to find the gnome settings file and delete it too - but you lose bookmarks and plugins...

walter