PDA

View Full Version : How many people have you converted to Ubuntu (or linux in general)?

rifak
January 15th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Hey fellow linuxers, just wanted to start a discussion about converting others to ubuntu (or any other linux distro). how many have you done and how successful have they been. ive got my parents (and 10 year old sister), my roommate, and an old high school friend all converted to ubuntu and completely off windows. they are very happy and have had absolutely no problems. im curious to hear more successful (or unsuccessful) stories.

Firestem4
January 15th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I am in the process of converting one of my friends into an Ubuntu/Kubuntu user. (Probably Kubuntu because that is what I am using.

My dads computer needed to be completely cleaned. he got a bad case of Antivirus 09 and it completely wrecked his computer. Its a computer he uses for work so i decided to throw Kubuntu on there for him to see if he liked it at all. Just set it up today so we'll see in ab it if he likes it.

Probably will becuase its a hell of a lot faster than XP, more stable. and has better programs (for free too. which with this economy is a wonderful thing).

cdwillis
January 15th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I got my roommate to switch to Ubuntu about a month or so ago .Today I talked a friend into using Ubuntu on his laptop instead of XP. He was worried that Linux wasn't user friendly and relied almost solely on the command line, which was how I thought until a friend of mine told me about Ubuntu six months ago. Not to talk bad about the command line (I'm using Arch instead of Ubuntu if that says anything), but with more driver support Linux could easily take a majority of the marketshare of computer users. Once you explain overall the lack of viruses, the free software in the repositories, and of course the fact that the OS itself is free I don't see how many people would stick with Windows.

Sorry to go off on a tangent. I guess I've converted two people. :p

Montblanc_Kupo
January 15th, 2009, 10:34 AM
So far... seven and counting.

Giant Speck
January 15th, 2009, 10:44 AM
None, and I don't intend to.

Rhubarb
January 15th, 2009, 10:54 AM
At last count ( mid 2008 ) I had introduced and converted around 25 people.

I've given up trying to count them all now.

I have converted work colleagues, friends, friends of family, friend's friends; and their friends, a few businesses, landlords, and a few other very loosely related people.

All these people vary in age between 4 years old all the way up to 70.
Many had big difficulties using windows, though some were very computer literate.

All in all a diverse mob of convertees.

Now that I've a new job, I've found a few more people there that are wanting to try Ubuntu (or other GNU / Linux distro).

The trick I've found is to ask what they want to do with their computer.
- Then let them know what Ubuntu has to offer.
If they want to try it, let them, but make sure customise their desktop for them, and let them know how to get around it.
Give them a week, and they're usually loving it.

chucky chuckaluck
January 15th, 2009, 12:57 PM
as all our other computers have thrown a shoe, i guess i've forced mrs. chuckaluck to use arch (she couldn't care any less, either way). i gave one student i had an ubuntu disk and he seemed to like it (he was already curious, though).

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
i have 4 that i know of (neighbor, dad, cousin, friend) and possibly more (ive given out ubuntu cds with instructions clearly written on them out to parents the last 3 halloweens (well last year was mint not ubuntu but close enough))

Sealbhach
January 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM
So far, two. A third thinking about it. I don't apply any pressure, I just mention from time to time how much I enjoy using it.

lswest
January 15th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I've not "converted" anyone, I do have a few people I know who use Linux now, but I didn't preach them into trying it. One friend had issues getting Eclipse and Java running on his vista computer, so I suggested he might try running linux on the side for Computer Science (I had tried everything I knew of to get Eclipse working right), and he did try (I installed and set it up for him), and he seems to rather enjoy using it.

I know a few others but they always approached me about Linux and asked me for help installing/using it, since they knew I had plenty of experience and they felt safer doing it with someone around who could help out if it went awry. I also installed Ubuntu using WUBI on my dad's laptop (10GB of storage), mainly because he had a few issues in Windows and told me if I wanted to install it to go ahead, he might look at it, but I think the only one who has used it was me...when I was setting it up. In any case, he has the option if he wants it.

The reason I don't preach or try to convert is that Linux is all about choice, isn't it? So why can't people chose to not use Linux? I'm happy to help my friends out with PC, Mac or Linux problems (although...I have a problem with Apple's philosophy in general, but lets not get into that).

So I have helped 3-4 people start out with Linux.

Converted? none.

leg
January 15th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I have converted a few in the past but I have given up consciously trying to. People have to make up there own minds and being pushed into it may only cause bitterness.

Bölvağur
January 15th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I have converted 3. Where of which 2 will probably rather not go back and 1 that doesnt know what OS is.

2 are interested in trying and will probably go full linux when they have time and will to come to my house for a dualboot.
Well perhaps 3 as there is this one guy that wants to build a special linux machine to play on, but it has been probably about a year now since he first talked about it. And currently he is hosting game servers so atm it gives him pressure to build that machine.

Actually 1 more that had been very interested in in trying linux and had been asking people that recommended ubuntu to him. But he was scared of losing data from his hard disk drive.

tegnoto89
January 15th, 2009, 01:58 PM
None so far, but the computer at my house house (I'm in college) runs XP on 256MB of ram, and it crashes a lot AND the recovery CD is broken. So it looks like I'm going to be throwing ubuntu on that bad boy (though I'm going to have to set it up and show my family how to use it).

RiceMonster
January 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
None. Why would I want to convert anyone?

mobilediesel
January 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I converted my wife's computer to Ubuntu. That was after Microsoft convinced me to switch MY computer to Ubuntu. Of course I don't think that was Microsoft's intent. One day Internet Explorer 7 crashed for the last time, literally. I told the Ubuntu LiveCD to use the whole drive for installation.

Even though Windows XP cost me money, it was worth it for leading me to Ubuntu.

Dixon Bainbridge
January 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Since when was linux a cult?

Stefanie
January 15th, 2009, 02:40 PM
my boyfriend's laptop screen died on him last week and now he's using an ubuntu laptop of mine. i don't think he'll stay with ubuntu, though. he relies heavily on acrobat professional and he's got a lot of problems with nm-applet which refuses to accept or remember the WPA key of his wireless network. and he had a crash once when trying to suspend. those are both important features for him which are no problem at all under windows so I think he'll switch back as soon as he can.

jeyaganesh
January 15th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Even I am not yet converted myself.

When flower blossoms bees come themselves!:D

Dixon Bainbridge
January 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM
When flower blossoms bees come themselves!:D

This should be used for every single response to all those endless repetitive OS arguments.

smartboyathome
January 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
See the link in my signature, "Don't preach, mention!" All this "converting" will ultimately hurt Linux, as it will be hyped up and when it isn't as good, people will hate it. That is why I don't "convert".

cerpin
January 15th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Sadly I haven't had as much luck as you OP.

I tell all my friends and family about Ubuntu, trying to steer them away from windows, but sadly everyone i know is content with windows. Some do like the idea of open source. at least its something lol.

cardinals_fan
January 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I am proud to say that I've never converted anyone. I've never sacrificed a goat beneath the full moon either.

rifak
January 15th, 2009, 08:04 PM
@ everyone who has a problem with the word "convert":

not a preaching style, not a force into the linux world, not anything like that...the people who i have opened the linux door were people who were consistently having problems with their windows machine or were genuinely interested in linux. my parents computer was just a piece and XP did not run well, my roommate is a fellow physicist who was finally starting to get into some serious research and pretty much needed a linux machine, and my other friend was just plain curious after showing him around my comp.

don't take the question so literal and serious. this was supposed to be a fun, curious question that i left open to everyone. as far as i can tell, those who have been open about their linux experience and willing to share it with others have been rather successful. this should ultimately make everyone feel a little bit better that the linux os is finally becoming something very awesome....not only for us geeks, but the general computer-illiterate as well.

so to address this in short...those of us who love showing others what linux is and what it can do, are not preaching and we aren't forcing others. that goes completely against the linux philosophy of choice. but one thing i do believe is that we should be at least sharing these great OSs with others to allow them to have the same experience as us. that is all.

cdwillis
January 16th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Obviously some of you guys just have a problem with the word converted. It's not like a religion we're preaching. The two people I 'converted' were actually 'introduced' to linux through me, and that's something I am proud of if it makes their computing experience better.:cool:

Corfy
January 16th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I am up to three (that I am aware of). None of them are Linux full-time, although two say they will never buy Windows again.

ndefontenay
January 16th, 2009, 01:36 AM
My girlfriend switched naturally after using it at home.
She explained to me later on that she had no idea there could be something else than windows.

She asked if she could install it on her laptop.

So far, 3 persons in all. Lots of very interested people change their minds when they know touch ipod and iphone are not out of the box.

phrostbyte
January 16th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Obviously some of you guys just have a problem with the word converted. It's not like a religion we're preaching. The two people I 'converted' were actually 'introduced' to linux through me, and that's something I am proud of if it makes their computing experience better.:cool:

Don't worry, it's just the cult of the mentioners (not preachers!!!) again. In some irony of being against telling people what to do, they feel the need to tell everyone here what to do. :lolflag:

jimi_hendrix
January 16th, 2009, 01:55 AM
almost one but after install ubuntu didnt show up so he just gave up

Calmatory
January 16th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Barely any. I do not intend to convert anyone unless I see proper reason. I have never seen a reason where they couldn't go with Windows or any other OS but Linux would work, hence I leave them with what they want to stick to.

Sure I have shared knowledge among some of my friends, parents, brothers and girlfriend but by no means do I intend to preach or convert anyone. Everyone should use whatever they want, when they want, as long as they want.

No OS is superior, or even best.

Sunflower1970
January 16th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I've not converted anyone, but I've mentioned it at work to co-workers, friends & family. They're at least aware there's a choice out there besides Windows or a Mac now and they know if I can use it, then they would be able to use it too :) Someday these people may become users and that makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside (lol)

jimi_hendrix
January 16th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I've not converted anyone, but I've mentioned it at work to co-workers, friends & family.

it amuses me when family pronounces it as ubontu

revleo
January 16th, 2009, 05:21 AM
as i have said in other posts i am an A+ certified PC technician and when people bring me thier PC's for work i recommend linux and ubuntu or one of its derivitives and for really old systems i recommend puppy the ones i fix and give away to home schooling familys are loaded with the latest puppy as i find old pent II and later comps and get em runnable again so on average AT LEAST 10 A MONTH

drjonze
January 16th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I haven't converted anyone yet but talk about it. I have a friend who's considering it. The 3D cube desktop has probably covnerted more people than any person could.

mxboy15u
May 1st, 2009, 07:25 PM
I just closed the deal on my 5th person. Pretty good for a newb!