PDA

View Full Version : Little things bug me (X11 cursor theme design element quibble)

SomeGuyDude
January 15th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Yeah, I could put this in the "desktop effects" area, but this is more like a random little ramble than a serious discussion on the matter.

I spend more time than I ever should on customizing my desktop. It's like how some guys constantly work on their cars. I have a long day and relax by puttering with my desktop. The one thing I have the hardest time finding is a cursor theme.

One reason is sometimes I get a cursor theme and somehow it just feels "off". Good examples are the Arch theme on Gnome-Look (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ArchCursorBlue?content=78506), or the Chrome Glass theme (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Chrome+Glass?content=88321). They're pretty good, but the designers apparently missed one thing.

Look at every default cursor theme on any system. Look at the standard arrow. You'll probably notice that the left edge of it is a vertical line. All default cursors follow this convention. That's why the arrow is always at a slightly cocked angle rather than straight vertical like a little Christmas tree.

That ain't an accident, either. It's not like one guy made it and everyone else just didn't feel like changing the design. That orientation makes it easy to "aim" with your cursor because a whole edge of the thing is perfectly vertical. This means it's much easier to make sure your X-axis is lined up, you aren't just trying to get a "point" in place. The arrow isn't just a little picture that registers clicks in one corner.

I dunno, I might just be ranting again. It's 1am and things like this bother me. I can't use cursors that aren't oriented right. Bugs me out, man. :lolflag:

OutOfReach
January 15th, 2009, 06:59 AM
You'll probably notice that the left edge of it is a vertical line.

WOW. I have never noticed this before. You, sir, have a good eye.
I don't really pay attention to very small things like my mouse theme.

namegame
January 15th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I don't really pay attention to very small things like my mouse theme.

Same here, I'm usually content with the default, boring, black cursor theme.

CarpKing
January 15th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Same here, I'm usually content with the default, boring, black cursor theme.

Better than a boring, white cursor theme though, am I right?