PDA

View Full Version : How may of you use Epiphany?

BIGtrouble77
January 15th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Just curious if people use it over firefox. I started using it primarily on my netbook because it works with Gnome Global Menu and firefox doesn't. I usually use Opera for casual browsing but it's unusually slow in linux.

Curious if anyone is successfully using the webkit version of epiphany. I tried it out and had mixed results. Performance was phenominal, but it was too unstable. Plus none of the plugins worked and you could not do google searches in the address bar.

-bt

cardinals_fan
January 15th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Two reasons I don't:

1. No Vimperator equivalent
2. Lots of GNOME dependencies

loell
January 15th, 2009, 05:26 AM
One important reason I do, alongside firefox,

sessions for my other webmail accounts, that is without fiddling some firefox plugin to do the same job.

myusername
January 15th, 2009, 05:33 AM
not i said the pig. (wow childhood fairytale flashbacks lol)

BIGtrouble77
January 15th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Two reasons I don't:

1. No Vimperator equivalent
2. Lots of GNOME dependencies

I guess you're not running ubuntu. I think there were only 3 or so dependencies when I installed it.

Ephphany is pretty featureless, but I do like the search/address bar (i'm sure this came before chrome's). There are sone browser extensions that I need, but I guess that's why I have firefox installed too.

CarpKing
January 15th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I use Epiphany most of the time these days; I hope the Webkit port gets done soon, as I'd like to use it without regressions.

PurposeOfReason
January 15th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I use Epiphany most of the time these days; I hope the Webkit port gets done soon, as I'd like to use it without regressions.
It's slated for gnome 2.26 which is scheduled for march I believe. Anyways, I'm trying to get away from any webbrowser that has a DE need. Until then epiph it is.

BGFG
January 15th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I find it to be glitchy... been trying Arora recently, the Qt interface is nice. When firefox simply would not work for me in Jaunty i found a nice lil one called Dillo. 11 meg footprint, but it is very bare :) Still though, for resource starved machines it's very functional for pure web browsing.

cardinals_fan
January 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I guess you're not running ubuntu. I think there were only 3 or so dependencies when I installed it.

Only because Ubuntu already has GNOME installed. You are correct; I use Slackware.

gnomeuser
January 15th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I use Epiphany, have done so for years. It's well integrated, the translations are consistent and it's rather elegant.

I don't use a whole lot of extensions, adblocker and certificates would be the main ones. I never saw the point in all the crack you can overload Firefox with.

One thing I do miss though, a way to automatically sync my bookmarks to somewhere yet still have them directly integrated in the menu. No solution I have found as of yet actually gets this problem right, it's always a separate button one has to remember to push or the bookmarks aren't actually integrated into the browsers existing bookmark system.. it really shouldn't be that hard

Tibuda
January 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Epiphany is my main browser for a long time, and I like it very much. I still use Firefox to debug javascript with firebug.

chucky chuckaluck
January 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
too oafish, too many gnome dependencies, not for me.

Johnsie
January 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I used to keep it as a backup for when firefox failed. That used to to happen quite regularly. Firefox seems less buggy now but still a bit of a resource hog. I would like to see a proper implementation of a vrml style browser where people could browse the web in virtual worlds and see the people they are browsing with.

DrHackenbush
January 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I use it a bit. Seems ok to me.