PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] is it worth upgrading to 8.10?

angelsniper45
January 15th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Ive been searching around, and so far all i see about 8.10 is thats its buggy. I just got all my apps and everything set up on 8.04, so if i upgrade will it be worth it it? and will i be able to keep my setup other than whats been upgrading?

taurus
January 15th, 2009, 01:11 AM
If you're happy with hardy, then stay with it since it's LTS.

Fuzzman
January 15th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I prefer 8.10 over 8.04...

Circus-Killer
January 15th, 2009, 07:49 AM
well, its basically stability vs latest'n'greatest.

if you stay with hardy, which is an LTS, it will be far more stable. if you upgrade, your applications will be at newer versions, some may have new features, etc.

but a word of warning, back-up all your important information before upgrading. upgrades sometimes don't go as plan. a lot of people, including myself, prefer to do a clean install when we upgrade. the problem with this is that it will wipe out your whole harddrive, so backup your info and stuff, do a fresh install, then just restore all your stuff back.

but as one poster said, if you happy with hardy, and it does what you need to do, you might as well just stay with it for now, until you get the hang of things a bit more.

mayooresan
January 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I'm a newbie to Ubuntu and direcly I went to 8.10.

I'd say itz simply awesome and itz been 3 weeks since I went back to Vista. I think itz worth it.

blackened
January 15th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Unless you are itching to try some specific software that is available in 8.10 and not in 8.04, then I would say stick with what you've got. Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is silly and potentially counter-productive. If what you have works, and you don't require anything more, then there's just no reasonable cause for you to upgrade.

kranny
January 15th, 2009, 08:13 AM
If you hav got a system you can experiment with then i would suggest going with 8.10.But seriously Dont upgrade to 8.10 on your college computers unless you have sufficient time to solve each n every issue

pk_rulz
January 15th, 2009, 08:27 AM
In the "IT industry" here(India) they say "Never mess with a code which works as you want just calling it an upgrade"

Flag
January 15th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Went back to 8.04.

antti64
January 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
My 8.04 works fine.
Experiments with USB Ubuntu 8.10 caused lots of headache.

Antti