PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Just swapped Gnome for Xfce..

thomasboleyn
January 15th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I couldn't be happier. I've actually done a clean install of Xubuntu Intrepid from Ubuntu Intrepid. I'm using 'Xfapplet' to use a couple of gnome applets I couldn't do without, and I'm using compiz and emerald, but everything looks identical to how it did in Ubuntu. Granted I've had to mess around with the theme file in mousepad (Xbuntu's gedit) to get the colours nice as it's a bit harder to change things like that in xfce, but it took no time at all. The most noticable thing I've found is the difference in speed and general perkiness between gnome and xfce - it is SO much faster, even with the exact same compiz options enabled. My minimize/maximise animation looks beautiful, applications open in no time, the 'scale' compiz plugin is really smooth, even when handling 5+ windows, the cube rotates flawlessly, slight opacity on all windows doesn't cause any stress. My laptop boots MUCH faster also, and I rarely hear the fan power up now. I could go on and on, I'm just really happy!

:)

adamlau
January 15th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Now it is time to give LXDE a trial run. In terms of UI responsiveness, the gains between GNOME and Xfce are similar to those between LXDE and Xfce. Close enough, anyways :) .