PDA

View Full Version : [other] Simple web browser (DE free)

PurposeOfReason
January 15th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I'm looking for a new web browser and all I really want is it to not drag a bunch of stuff with it when installed. I really like epiphany, but I'm not about to install half of gnome to get it. Kazehakase is nice, but the lack of being able to ctrl+l to the address bar and not being able to hide the bookmard bar were annoying. Dillo is a bit too light, if you get what I'm saying.

Also, I don't need fancy extensions. You have a /etc/hosts file so you don't see ads. ;)

adamlau
January 15th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Though they will bring in Qt, I am unaware of any featherweight browsers which have enough features and flexibility to justify me moving away from Opera 10 (stable enough for me) and WebKit (featureless, but a smooth operator when it is able to successfully render a page). Your question is one of those Holy Grail types, one which we have all been asking about and searching for, yet to no avail. I am going to give Midori another shot tonight, see if I can't get over my previously poor experience with it. Then moving on to Skipstone...

Update: Built Midori, nice and speedy, segmentation faults galore on espn.com. I must have my sports news :( .
Update: Pass on Skipstone (it would not build), back to Firefox as my primary alternatives to Opera 10:( ...