PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] computer will not shut down

birdkathe
January 14th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I posted a few months ago about installing Ubuntu on my new computer. Thanks to the great help I got here I am one of the masses who uses
acpi=off

I can turn the computer on and restart with no problem however when I try to turn things off I run into error messages from the Network Manager claiming a bus error over and over and over... Until I get tired to looking at the white letters and kill the power.

Don't end up turning off the machine very often but thought that maybe now would be a good time to try to figure this out.

Thoughts?
-Kathe

avtolle
January 14th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Which version of Ubuntu is installed?

avtolle
January 14th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1039350 Take a look to see if may be applicable.

birdkathe
January 15th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I have vs 8.04 I did run across this post but am afraid I don't really understand the solution well enough to implement it. In particular I'm unsure what is ment by '... adding the two modules to the blacklist'

Things I have tried that don't work:
1) Turn off NetworkManager & NetworkManagerDispatcher using

sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/26NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager stop

Results: Hung after 'Will halt now' with a curser in the upper left corner, no error messages.

2) add 'amp=power_off' to the boot command
Results: grey/blue screen instead of error messages

Thanks,
-Kathe

avtolle
January 15th, 2009, 12:37 AM
The two modules to which the poster was referring were the thermal and fan modules, which I suspect were being called out in the error line he posted, with the precise module set forth, rather than [Reference]. Do you have any error messages that look like that (rather than the annoying issue with the network manager, which, as I recall, I had but never prevented the system from shutting down, albeit quite slowly sometimes)?

birdkathe
January 15th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Turning off the splash screen I got these additional errors:

'Unable to iterate IED devices: No such file or directory'

and a like or two about 'gdm' looks like a null assertion failed for the hash_table

Does this help?
-Kathe

birdkathe
January 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
...Bump...

Still having the issue.

440Hz
March 15th, 2009, 11:38 PM
same problem here did you fix it already

4Orbs
March 16th, 2009, 12:31 AM
2) add 'amp=power_off' to the boot command
Results: grey/blue screen instead of error messages

Instead of the above, try:
Open the /etc/modules as root in the text editor,

gksudo gedit /etc/modules
Then add this as the bottom line:

apm power_off=1
Save and close the file.
Reboot, and shutdown should work thereafter.
This works for some people, myself included.