PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs takes medical leave of absence

KiwiNZ
January 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
See link

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-14-2009/0004954976&EDATE=

I wish him a speedy recovery and hope the wolves leave him in peace to concentrate on this .

solitaire
January 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/14/steve-jobs-is-taking-a-leave-of-absence-from-apple-due-to-healt/

Apple has issued a statement saying that Steve Jobs is taking a leave of absence due to health reasons. Steve Jobs sent out a letter to Apple employees today saying that his previously-explained health problems (http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/05/steve-jobs-is-still-alive-says-a-hormone-imbalance-to-blame-for/) are "more complex" than he at first thought, and that he looks forward to seeing his employees this summer -- presumably the time he expects to return to the helm. In the meantime, Steve will be around for major strategic decisions, and Tim Cook will take over the day-to-day in his absence. The full letter is below:

Team,

I am sure all of you saw my letter last week sharing something very personal
with the Apple community. Unfortunately, the curiosity over my personal health
continues to be a distraction not only for me and my family, but everyone else
at Apple as well. In addition, during the past week I have learned that my
health-related issues are more complex than I originally thought.

In order to take myself out of the limelight and focus on my health, and to
allow everyone at Apple to focus on delivering extraordinary products, I have
decided to take a medical leave of absence until the end of June.

I have asked Tim Cook to be responsible for Apple's day to day operations, and
I know he and the rest of the executive management team will do a great job. As
CEO, I plan to remain involved in major strategic decisions while I am out. Our
board of directors fully supports this plan.

I look forward to seeing all of you this summer.

Steve

solitaire
January 14th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Just posted this as well :(

I'm not a huge Mac fan but I respect what he did for the company.

Wish him a speedy recovery too.

Joeb454
January 15th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I'll join in saying that, while I'm not technically a Mac user, I do like Apple products, and can totally see their appeal (I have an iPhone). As solitaire said, I totally appreciate how much he's done for Apple since his return.

I look forward to seeing him back in June/July in full health :)

handy
January 15th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Steve Jobs had the vision to be inspired by Alan Kay (http://www.smalltalk.org/alankay.html)'s Smalltalk GUI, Jobs could see that this was the way everyone would be using a personal computer in the future & so went on to develop the Mac's with their GUI OS. (With a little help from Alan Kay & team as well. :-))

Microsoft followed Apple.

So Steve Jobs has had an often unappreciated effect on how the vast majority of desktop computer users (no matter what brand of computer or OS) do their stuff.

It seems to usually take a dominating type of ego to move & shake things in this world, for better or worse.

KiwiNZ
January 15th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Agreed

Its a shame so many of the young do not see what Steve Jobs and Bill Gates have done .

They were the pioneers who challenged the Computer giants (IBM) and won.

Steve Jobs had the vision to be inspired by Alan Kay (http://www.smalltalk.org/alankay.html)'s Smalltalk GUI, Jobs could see that this was the way everyone would be using a personal computer in the future & so went on to develop the Mac's with their GUI OS. (With a little help from Alan Kay & team as well. :-))

Microsoft followed Apple.

So Steve Jobs has had an often unappreciated effect on how the vast majority of desktop computer users (no matter what brand of computer or OS) do their stuff.

It seems to usually take a dominating type of ego to move & shake things in this world, for better or worse.

Grant A.
January 15th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I will pray for his recovery.

Giant Speck
January 15th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I don't really like Macs, but that should not get in the way in me wishing Steve Jobs a speedy recovery. I hope he gets well as soon as possible.

I hope it's not tasteless to say that I always figured Steve Ballmer would be the first one of the major computer CEOs to have medical problems. Considering those really early Microsoft commercials and his um.... enthusiastic behavior at conferences.

KiwiNZ
January 15th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Believe it or not the staff really like Steve Ballmer. at least he not a stuffy CEO
Ever met the CEO's of banks HP etc sheesh talk about insomnia cures

But Steve Ballmer , Steve Jobs no way are they boring

I don't really like Macs, but that should not get in the way in me wishing Steve Jobs a speedy recovery. I hope he gets well as soon as possible.

I hope it's not tasteless to say that I always figured Steve Ballmer would be the first one of the major computer CEOs to have medical problems. Considering those really early Microsoft commercials and his um.... enthusiastic behavior at conferences.

Grant A.
January 15th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Believe it or not the staff really like Steve Ballmer. at least he not a stuffy CEO
Ever met the CEO's of banks HP etc sheesh talk about insomnia cures

But Steve Ballmer , Steve Jobs no way are they boring

I can say that Steve Ballmer is less competitive than Bill Gates, but atleast Bill Gates never outright attacked Linux. I have noticed, however, that Microsoft has calmed down ever since Bill Gates became part-time. Perhaps Gates was the true attacker afterall.

RiceMonster
January 15th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I don't think Microsoft "attacks Linux" nearly as much as people claim.

KiwiNZ
January 15th, 2009, 03:58 AM
It was more hype than anything , they really dont care about Linux

Grant A.
January 15th, 2009, 04:03 AM
It was more hype than anything , they really dont care about Linux

They do on the server side of things where we hold around 30% of the market share among regular corporations and a 50% market share with fortune 500 companies.

KiwiNZ
January 15th, 2009, 04:08 AM
They compete in different fields server side

Linux main competitors in the server side are HP with HPUX , IBM , Sun etc etc

KiwiNZ
January 15th, 2009, 04:09 AM
But we digress from the topic , my apologies for that

This is about Steve Jobs getting well

phrostbyte
January 15th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Anyway I hope Steve Jobs recovers, I also think without what he has done to promote innovation in technology we'd all be still using Windows ME!

Oh and Apple is totally not an evil company to FOSS and Linux, in fact you can thank them for CUPS, Webkit, Zeroconf, promoting the use of OpenGL, POSIX and more :)

Grant A.
January 15th, 2009, 04:43 AM
They compete in different fields server side

Linux main competitors in the server side are HP with HPUX , IBM , Sun etc etc

One last off-topic comment from my side:

IBM pre-loads Linux on most of its servers it sells. I seldom hear of AIX actually on a server.

KiwiNZ
January 15th, 2009, 05:19 AM
One last off-topic comment from my side:

IBM pre-loads Linux on most of its servers it sells. I seldom hear of AIX actually on a server.

I will ask my wife what the market share of their products are. She works at IBM

MikeTheC
January 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Best wishes and thoughts for The Steve.