PDA

View Full Version : Recent Ubuntuforums Downtime

ubuntu-geek
January 14th, 2009, 09:29 PM
This was posted on my blog which will hit the planet (http://planet.ubuntu.com) soon, but wanted you all to know as well.

I just wanted to take a few minutes and comment on some of the recent issues we’ve had over at the UbuntuForums. Last week Thursday around 4pm EST, our main database server went into a “crashed” state. The result of this state was over 2000 queries that were lingering without completion for over 8000 seconds which resulted in resource issues, this caused the mysqld process to go into an unresponsive state and would not shutdown effectively. After the crash it was realized we had some inconsistent data in the database and a check/repair was ran to potentially correct the issues.

On Sunday evening around 11:30pm EST the forums were down again but this time with table corruption on our largest tables which is our post table (it has around 6.5 million rows) and the thread table (over 1 million rows). I’m assuming everything “wasn’t” ok, after the crash on Thursday even though the checks said they were. Monday was spent cleaning up the tables, fixing corruption issues etc. Unfortunately, because of the massive size of our tables a check and repair takes upwards of 4-5 hours per check and repair until the issues were mostly resolved, this had to be completed a few times. We’ll be monitoring the data integrity over the next couple days to ensure everything stays consistent.

When the forums were ready to come online last night around 7pm EST, we ran into issues with the amount of traffic the site was getting (benefits of being popular eh?). To help ease the pressure on our main database server we have utilized the “slave” feature in vbulletin which will send queries to a slave server to help reduce load on the master. So far this has been working pretty well except for a few hiccups which were easily corrected by changing mySQL variables.

James Troup from Canonical was a great help making sure the proxies were stable last night and will be getting us additional hardware to help with our explosive growth as we have outgrown our current servers. James, thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

Until things stable out we have disabled a couple of popular features on the forums namely the “Thank you” and the “Solved Post” features. We hope to re-enable them again soon. I expect we’ll have a some rough patches ahead of us until the new hardware is in place and we look forward to getting things more stable in the near future. We’ll also be implementing a better method of communication to our users when the forums are offline, expect an announcement on the forums in the near future about that. We appreciate everyones patience during this time.

Elfy
January 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM
thanks for letting us know - I for one appreciate what you do :)

notwen
January 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Good to hear. Certainly been missing the forums throughout my slower times at work. =] Here's to hoping you get the needed hardware and get everything back up & running as should be soon. *cheers*

drubin
January 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks again for your hard work on this regard.

Sealbhach
January 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Yay new hardware. The forums have been generally slow and unresponsive for as long as I've been using them so more hardware is a great thing. Thanks!

Joeb454
January 14th, 2009, 09:38 PM
First off, thanks to U-G (and James over at Canonical), for managing to minimize the downtime :)

Secondly, as I think this is going to be popular for the next couple of days, I've stuck the thread

Favux
January 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Hi Ubuntu-geek,

Thank you for your hard work. And all the forum work you do. Hopefully soon I'll be able to "thank you"

matthew
January 14th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Thank you, ubuntu-geek, and thank you, James, Canonical, etc.

talsemgeest
January 14th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Thank you so much ubuntu-geek and James for all the hard work you guys have put in.

chucky chuckaluck
January 14th, 2009, 09:52 PM
whatever any of that means. get well soon. :guitar:

Rocket2DMn
January 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks u-g and Canonical folks! Your efforts are appreciated by so many people. Rock on!
:guitar:

Nano Geek
January 14th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for all the hard work trying to keeps the forums together. :)

Tom Mann
January 14th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Thank you so much ubuntu-geek and James for all the hard work you guys have put in.

Seconded, Thirded and Forthed. You guys rock! Have a star :KS

sstusick
January 14th, 2009, 10:26 PM
thank you so much ubuntu-geek and james for all the hard work you guys have put in.
+1

cardinals_fan
January 14th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Thank you for the info. Keep us up to date!

Thelasko
January 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all of the hard work!

Dr Small
January 14th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I just found this thread (I don't visit the Cafe often, nor do I look at Stickies!!). I just wanted to say a big THANK-YOU for getting the forums back up. This is my favorite and most helpful spot on the Internet, and I love helping out (even though that does mean I am hurting the database even worse :p).

Thanks for keeping us up, and sorting out the issues! :)

Vadi
January 14th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks for explaining what happened and letting us know the communication will be improved.

Skripka
January 15th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Great work, thank you, now kick back and have several nice beers. :)

samjh
January 15th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Thank you all for your hard work, and for letting us lowly users know what's been going on. :)

sydbat
January 15th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks U-G!! I think alot of us were going through withdrawal...

snova
January 15th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Many thanks for fixing it!

More for the (interesting) detailed explanation.

irishdunn
January 15th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks for your effort in this, didn't realise how much I use the site until it went down.

-grubby
January 15th, 2009, 01:20 AM
The explanation and help is appreciated. I was wondering where thanks went, now I understand ;)

5BallJuggler
January 15th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks very much from the UK

cprofitt
January 15th, 2009, 01:48 AM
<humor>

I can not believe we need new hardware... heck I can't see why anyone would need more than 640K.

</humor>

Seriously U-G - thanks. Having had my shared of tech emergencies turned nightmare (three disks on a raid 5 scsi attached storage device going at the same time is painful) I can truly appreciate what you went through and what it took to get it all back.

phrostbyte
January 15th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Well at least this is a sign that Ubuntu Forums is growing. :P

Oh and thank you ubuntu-geek for your nice pleasant looking avatar. Since so many other people were thanking you for other things I have to complement something different. I really like your avatar. (Not being sarcastic.)

ghindo
January 15th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Thanks for your effort in this, didn't realise how much I use the site until it went down.Ditto for me.

BGFG
January 15th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Echoing Thanks, many of us have spent a sleepless night or two in server rooms waiting on database checks and if we could, we'd 'tag in' for you.
Sincere thanks for all your efforts. Hope the database stops screwing around :)

Reynaldo.

sharathpaps
January 15th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Thank You ubuntugeek and James and everyone at Canonical who work so hard purely for their belief of what Ubuntu & FOSS stand for..

I salute your Ubuntu....

Ubuntu forums has become a staple in my day to day life...

Scruffynerf
January 15th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Just another thanks for letting us know.

As an aside... MySQL for the backend of a site this large? Heck, even one of the lead devs has blogged panning MySQL. I'm a bit surprised that PostGreSQL isn't being used. It is supposed to be a lot more stable with larger data sets.

Partyboi2
January 15th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks ubuntu-geek for all your hard work and dedication to the Ubuntu forums.

halovivek
January 15th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Thank you so much.

darrenn
January 15th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Why didn't that lady simply call a computer tech? He could have put windows back on her computer in less than a hour. But that article sounds like a total sham anyway.

Joeb454
January 15th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Why didn't that lady simply call a computer tech? He could have put windows back on her computer in less than a hour. But that article sounds like a total sham anyway.

Wrong Thread? :p

smartboyathome
January 15th, 2009, 04:21 PM
UG, you deserve a beer. :KS

perlluver
January 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM
UG, you deserve a beer. :KS

+1 to that, good work guys, keep it up.

Dragonbite
January 15th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Thank you for all of your hard work and long hours!

The sheer number of members and the heavy load on the servers should tell you that this is a very popular forum and you can pride in that!

jbelmonte
January 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks U-G and James. These forums are invaluable.

Joeb454
January 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks U-G and James. These forums are invaluable.

If we think we have found some bad data in the forums, how should we report it? I believe there is a problem with http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1033697

Thanks, I've informed the admins :)

sanderella
January 15th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Thank you for all your hard work. Much appreciated.:KS

eragon100
January 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Thanx for all the volunteer effort you have put in ! :popcorn:

Slug71
January 15th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I'm still getting, '502 Proxy Error and Service Temporarily Unavailable' pages a lot.

jbelmonte
January 15th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Are you accepting donations to help defray the cost of the new hardware?

solitaire
January 16th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I'm still getting, '502 Proxy Error and Service Temporarily Unavailable' pages a lot.
I'm getting a lot of 503 errors

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /search.php (http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php).
Reason: Error reading from remote server
Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) Server at ubuntuforums.org Port 80

Sunspore
January 16th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Thank you for making all this possible and making this one the best online forum I have ever visited.

Keep up the good work.

Cheerz!!!

ubuntu-freak
January 16th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the very detailed explaination ubuntu-geek, and thanks for all the hard work you put in - I don't envy you. I'm betting this forum has grown bigger than you ever thought it would.

deepclutch
January 16th, 2009, 10:51 AM
for a second ,I dreamt your servers were hacked :P

FuturePilot
January 17th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Thanks to all who put their hard work into fixing the forums up. :KS

billgoldberg
January 17th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I hope you guys sort things out, because the errors and downtime isn't good for the reputation of Ubuntu.

Kaneda187
January 17th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Keep it up! good job! missed it when it was down though!

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 17th, 2009, 09:58 PM
are you accepting donations to help defray the cost of the new hardware?

+1

handy
January 18th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Are you accepting donations to help defray the cost of the new hardware?

I believe that donations & advertising revenue is most definitely accepted:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/

Joeb454
January 18th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I believe that donations & advertising revenue is most definitely accepted:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/

You are aware that isn't actually ubuntu-geek's website? :)

handy
January 18th, 2009, 03:11 AM
You are aware that isn't actually ubuntu-geek's website? :)

Oops, I got his twin! :lolflag:

What is the URL for his site?

talsemgeest
January 18th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Oops, I got his twin! :lolflag:

What is the URL for his site?
I believe this (http://moxiefoxtrot.com/) is it.

matthew
January 18th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Yeah, that's the real one. The other guy just has the same name.

handy
January 18th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Yeah, that's the real one. The other guy just has the same name.

Thanks for setting me straight on that one. :-)

ShirishAg75
January 18th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Any idea when the new hardware would be put into service?

Also it would be good to know about the comment about postgreSQL vs MySQL which somebody made, commenting that PostgreSQL fairing better with larger data sets.

IIRC PostgreSQL also is better with open-source forum software, although dunno about their scalability.

-kg-
January 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I will add my thanks to UG and everyone involved. I most certainly missed the Forums while they were down and it's great to see them back up.

Great job!

smilingfrog
January 20th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I miss the thanks feature! So I'm going to post here instead. Thanks.

aceinthenight
January 20th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Ubuntu is so stable lol...

jenkinbr
January 20th, 2009, 09:48 PM
At least the forums are running smoothly again.

night_fox
January 21st, 2009, 02:25 AM
Thankyou ubuntu-geek for sortin out the forums from their downtime. Much appreciated by everyone on the forums.

Benic
January 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Thank you guys! Ubuntu forums rock! I just wouldn't make it without a little help from my fellow Ubuntu users.

Keep up the good work!

deadmnky
January 22nd, 2009, 05:51 AM
thank you for all your hard work everyone. always much appreciated.

Joeb454
January 26th, 2009, 01:02 AM
With the original post of this thread over 1 week old, and the last activity 3 days prior to this post, I'm unsticking this thread (as I mentioned in a recent thread in Forum Feedback & Help

sancho panza
January 27th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I'd like to thank the poster for this thread...where is the button for that? Oops nevermind :P

namdung
February 5th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hopefully the forum will be back to 100% functionality soon. I was lost for a while with the forums.

The Ubuntu version mentioned below the avatar was much needed. When was this feature added?

Really appreciate all the hard work that goes behind keeping this great forum running.

Edit: My signature makes no sense for now ;-)

dunomous
February 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I can't wait until this is brought back up, either. Although, I must say, I really do appreciate all the hard work that goes on to keep these forums operable!!

Vince4Amy
February 11th, 2009, 06:19 PM
The Ubuntu version mentioned below the avatar was much needed. When was this feature added?

It was readded, it used to be on here when the mini profiles of the users were at the top of each post, I preferred that.

FuturePilot
February 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM
It was readded, it used to be on here when the mini profiles of the users were at the top of each post, I preferred that.

That option has also been readded.

expelledboy
June 28th, 2009, 01:17 AM
You mentioned that you werent going to bring back the "thank you" feature.. and I was about to go and start a thread that basically said I would write more howtos here, instead of elsewhere, if this feature was added. I had no idea it had been removed! :P