PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] can't paste anything on my desktop !!!

dungpt
January 14th, 2009, 03:03 PM
i can't paste anything to my desktop?
what's goin on?

and with thunar file browsing, why itsn't cut my file name when it's too long?

mali2297
January 14th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Go to Settings Manager and then Desktop. Check that the option Allow Xfce to manage the desktop is enabled.

As for the long file names not being cut, I don't know.

dungpt
January 15th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Go to Settings Manager and then Desktop. Check that the option Allow Xfce to manage the desktop is enabled.

As for the long file names not being cut, I don't know.

it's checked.
i can create new file , drag drop, delete....

but i CAN"T FIND THE PASTE OPTION (CTRL+V) to paste my file to my desktop (except drag drop it to my desktop)

CRAZY

adamlau
January 15th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I am assuming you are referring to the quirky 'clipboard' (versus KDE/GNOME) and the lack of icon text wrapping support. That is how it is with Xubuntu and Xfce in general :) . Regarding the 'clipboard' issue, perform cut/copy/paste operations within Thunar without performing intermediate actions in between. It is this very quirkiness which leads more than a few Xfce users to install the xfce4-clipman-plugin :) . Besides, you could always use cp and mv. The desktop icon text wrapping issue continues to persist in Xfce 4.6 (at least up to svn-29116). Filing a bug report is your best bet towards a speedy resolution to this annoyance.

dungpt
January 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM
exactly, how can i paste my file to desktop?

stevoo
January 15th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Ctrl+c the file that you want -> copy
Ctcl+p on the desktop -> paste

or right click select copy
right click on desktop select paste

maybe you didnt actually manage to copy the folder !
none of this work ?

dungpt
January 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM
CTRL + P hasn't effect on my desktop :|
but i only can drag & drop my file or create new file on it

ubhi
January 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
If ctrl+v not working.. then you can check by going manually to desktop by open the folder of desktop something like
/home/youprofilename/Desktop/
then try to paste items... & check security by goint to terminal & check desktop directory security by pressing ls -l do you have full access to desktop directory

dungpt
January 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM
If ctrl+v not working.. then you can check by going manually to desktop by open the folder of desktop something like
/home/youprofilename/Desktop/
then try to paste items... & check security by goint to terminal & check desktop directory security by pressing ls -l do you have full access to desktop directory

i open my desktop folder with thunar, i CAN paste anything to it.
but on my desktop , i CAN"T

dungpt
January 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM
no one help? there's noway to paste file on my xubuntu desktop ?