PDA

View Full Version : Good Router

bjweeks
December 15th, 2005, 06:44 AM
I am looking for a new wired router, does anybody know of any good models? My curent linkys can't handel bitorrent and crashes a lot. Is there any good routers for under 200$ that can handle a good amount of load and still be reliable?

futz
December 15th, 2005, 07:24 AM
How about a D-Link DI-604 4 Port Router? They're cheap and reliable.

I have the DI-624 wireless version, which also has 4 wired ports. It's never given me any problem whatsoever. It can do bittorrent all day long. Never a single problem. I have three computers plugged into it. All have done many massive downloads thru it.

I can't understand why a router would give trouble with bittorrent. All it sees is packets. Bittorrent packets aren't any different from any others. It's just ethernet...

bjweeks
December 15th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Bittorrebt opens and closes tons of conections.

lutrafobic
December 15th, 2005, 09:09 AM
..don't you have an old 386/486/Pentium somewere and two NIC's?

http://www.smoothwall.org -or- http://www.ipcop.org

bjweeks
December 15th, 2005, 09:30 AM
..don't you have an old 386/486/Pentium somewere and two NIC's?

http://www.smoothwall.org -or- http://www.ipcop.org

Nope... but smooth wall is very cool

ember
December 15th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I own a Fritz Box 7050 - which is a combined Wire/Wireless/VOIP-Router with additional telefone system functions. A very useful piece of hardware, works with eMule, but then the Voice over IP quality suffers.

nocturn
December 15th, 2005, 12:21 PM
I recommand a Linksys, some of their models are running Linux ...

Galoot
December 15th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I second the DI-604 suggestion. Never had a problem with it. It doesn't choke on BitTorrents.

yaye
December 15th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Hello,

I use a Netgear RP614 in our home network. Both my sons use bittorent on it without problems. You only have to set up Port Forwarding on it.

Ian

jeremy
December 15th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I use a netgear dg834 it has been running constantly for over 2 months now without any problems at all amule & azureus running day and night!

bjweeks
December 15th, 2005, 01:11 PM
I recommand a Linksys, some of their models are running Linux ...

WRT54G, WRT54GS, and WRT54GL have linux based GPL'ed firmware. I've got 2 but thats the router I am haveing issues with.

BoyOfDestiny
December 15th, 2005, 02:26 PM
WRT54G, WRT54GS, and WRT54GL have linux based GPL'ed firmware. I've got 2 but thats the router I am haveing issues with.

Well I have one of the linksys wireless b's going for about a year or so (and I use BT regularly).

Are you sure your router has the latest firmware?

Also, for BT, initially I did port forwarding (then decided on port triggering instead).

Are you running anything funky like encryption? I think you mentioned wired, so maybe not...

bjweeks
December 15th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Well I have one of the linksys wireless b's going for about a year or so (and I use BT regularly).

Are you sure your router has the latest firmware?

Also, for BT, initially I did port forwarding (then decided on port triggering instead).

Are you running anything funky like encryption? I think you mentioned wired, so maybe not...

I am running DD-WRT firmware.

Its wireless but I am useing it as wired.

prizrak
December 15th, 2005, 03:18 PM
WRT54G is the best to get right now. Someone hacked it so you can get it to function as a more expesive router, including RADIUS server, VPN, VoIP (not sure but I think it was mentioned), something else. But for wired, I dunno I wouldn't get a D-link cuz the one I had sucked (then again the wireless portion was broken not the wired). Best route to go is an old machine with smoothwall and two nics then just use your router as a switch it shouldn't choke ;)

yaye
December 15th, 2005, 08:50 PM
WRT54G is the best to get right now. Someone hacked it so you can get it to function as a more expesive router, including RADIUS server, VPN, VoIP (not sure but I think it was mentioned), something else................

Hello,

This is true for versions four and earlier. The new version 5 does not use Linux and people have been having problems with it. The current production model that uses Linux is the WRT54GL. See this link for more information:

http://wifinetnews.com/archives/006101.html

Ian

curtis
December 15th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Hello,

This is true for versions four and earlier. The new version 5 does not use Linux and people have been having problems with it. The current production model that uses Linux is the WRT54GL. See this link for more information:

http://wifinetnews.com/archives/006101.html

Ian
That is correct, but you can get GNU/Linux versions of the V5 as well now...
Just not sold as much, Linksys gave in to the community :D

prizrak
December 15th, 2005, 09:21 PM
/me wonders which version he just ordered from Walmart.... (well if it's 5 I'll just return it)

eMuNiX
December 15th, 2005, 09:23 PM
If you are in the UK then Netgear do have some problems with certain bits of ISP kit and I have often heard BT ADSL engineers complain that Netgear cause problems (I think mainly the DG814 firmware). The Thomson Speedtouch gear is good for long reach ADSL lines and for a basic ADSL connection the SafeCom units (conexant chipset) are also good.

Mr. Electric Wizard
December 15th, 2005, 09:25 PM
IPCop rawks teh house!!
Great little distro!

almahtar
December 15th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Nope... but smooth wall is very cool

When I need a router I head to the nearest goodwill, buy an old pentium for $15 and slap smoothwall on it. I've had really great luck with that... never had problems, always had great configurability, usability, and performance. That's my advice.

basketcase
December 15th, 2005, 09:35 PM
I had good success with ipcop 1.5 years ago when I needed a wired router. My box is still there, but I went with linksy WTR54G (2 of them) with alchemy/talisman firmware.

Good luck

tseliot
December 15th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Netgear DG804

It works great with Linux and Windows (my father use Windows, I don't) and Bittorrents.

majikstreet
December 15th, 2005, 09:48 PM
don't get a dell..

yaye
December 16th, 2005, 03:15 AM
That is correct, but you can get GNU/Linux versions of the V5 as well now...
Just not sold as much, Linksys gave in to the community :D

Do you have a link to that information? I thought it was pretty stupid of Linksys to turn a hot selling open source based product, like the ones before version 5, into a bug plagued closed product.

Ian

psoleko
December 16th, 2005, 05:37 AM
I higly recommend the D-Link Gaming Router DGL-4300, it comes with Gigabit Ethernet ports and has a ton of features. It doesn't run Linux but if it's good routing and the ability to use a QoS like system to priortize services or games look no further.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127158

Gandalf
December 16th, 2005, 06:03 AM
I have 2 routers at home, i use IPCOP 1.4.10 as a main router and i have WRT45G V3 (linksys) working as Access Point (don't handle routing) it's working fine no problems,

about your problem i think you are using a FW based on the old buggy FW, infact the old FW had a problem with memory and they overclock it AFAIK, i was testing FWs to one of the developers at that time and i noticed that each time he send me a new one a bit more overclocked the Router just get more hot so i stick it on the left side now as he suggest because otherwize it will just turn itself off after a while :(

stoeptegel
December 16th, 2005, 06:12 AM
dp

stoeptegel
December 16th, 2005, 06:13 AM
I can't understand why a router would give trouble with bittorrent. All it sees is packets. Bittorrent packets aren't any different from any others. It's just ethernet...

Old and cheap routers have a small memsize for the nat table, some sites believe that's the number one reason when routers stop working on p2p. This might be true, i dunno...

MetalMusicAddict
December 16th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Does Linksys make a 10/100/1000/Wireless router? I have a SMC gigabit switch with a Linksys wireless B 10/100 router. I would like to pair it down to make everything gigabit on the wired side of things.

ember
December 16th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Even the most recent Linksys Router (WRT54GL) is only 10/100 and wireless, though with Linux still.

prizrak
December 16th, 2005, 01:54 PM
There is little point for companies to sell gigabit routers for home users, my harddrives would never be able to take the advantage of the speed anyways and I run a fairly common spec machine. They got more expensive gbit switches/routers you can buy but don't expect something for $50-70 to have anything more than 100.

majikstreet
December 16th, 2005, 01:55 PM
what is better: ipcop or smoothwall?

ember
December 16th, 2005, 02:15 PM
There is little point for companies to sell gigabit routers for home users, my harddrives would never be able to take the advantage of the speed anyways and I run a fairly common spec machine.

Hmm ... 100Mbit gives you about 10-12 MByte/s - I guess, your harddisk is faster than that, isn't it?

However I agree, a homeuser does usually not need more than 100Mbit.

MetalMusicAddict
December 16th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I do alot of DV editing/encoding and I store it all on a server. I went gigabit because it was taking along time to move files. It was actually a big speed improvement. Wasnt too expensive either. The switch (5 port) was $70 and the NICs were $28 at CompUSA.

My home network has 6 PCs on it. 3 do gaming. I needes some new equiptment so I said why not. The NICs work fine with Ubuntu also. :)

I didnt think anyone made a wireless/gigabit setup yet but I dont know everything. :)

Mr. Electric Wizard
December 16th, 2005, 03:04 PM
what is better: ipcop or smoothwall?

From what I gather, they are pretty much the same...
I believe that IPCop has more add ons for it.
I've never used smoothwall, so I can't really give a good comparison though.:cool:

ember
December 16th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Maybe it's a buffer problem? Think of a Gigabit ethernet client smashing in data as fast as it can (and if I remember correctly, ethernet has no means for throtteling data transfers). The poor router would be hopelessly lost sending out data to a wireless client.

Mr. Electric Wizard
December 16th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Hmm ... 100Mbit gives you about 10-12 MByte/s - I guess, your harddisk is faster than that, isn't it?

However I agree, a homeuser does usually not need more than 100Mbit.

Ha, unless your a twE4ker!!!

MetalMusicAddict
December 16th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Maybe it's a buffer problem? Think of a Gigabit ethernet client smashing in data as fast as it can (and if I remember correctly, ethernet has no means for throtteling data transfers). The poor router would be hopelessly lost sending out data to a wireless client.
Im not really worried about the wireless transfer. I know how that goes. My wireless router has a 4-port switch that 10/100. I would just like that to be gigabit.

ember
December 16th, 2005, 03:35 PM
I understand ;) ... I was just openly speculating why there are no wireless-routers with Gbit-wire-part.

majikstreet
December 16th, 2005, 09:32 PM
oo... I will have to check out ipcop.. I've been looking at smoothwall a bit, and was curious.

nix4me
December 17th, 2005, 01:55 AM
www.ipcop.org

nix4me

majikstreet
December 17th, 2005, 02:07 AM
www.ipcop.org

nix4me
smoothwall seems so much nicer..

teaker1s
December 17th, 2005, 02:09 AM
be aware dsl-504t on latest firmware quotes wrong system up time and if used on windows it will drop asdl randomly after two or so days

sundayseven
August 21st, 2006, 07:17 PM
My DI-604 crashes constantly with azureus. I have set Azureus to use ridiculously low settings and it still bombs. when i first got the router, it worked for days with no trouble, but it got progressively worse. Does anyone have 'settings' suggestions for either my router or Azureus? Im almost at a point where it's just easier to buy the DVD legit!!! yikes!!!!
thanks folks:p

Johan!
August 22nd, 2006, 08:51 AM
My 3Com Officeconnect works perfectly:cool:

Internet Usage Monitor
Monitor Period 153 days, 02 hours, 30 mins
Upload 43787 Mbytes
Download 69705 Mbytes
Combined 113492 Mbytes

Virogenesis
August 22nd, 2006, 10:43 AM
I run smoothwall on a p3 with 64mb of ram, works like a charm.

newlinux
October 1st, 2006, 01:50 AM
My DI-604 crashes constantly with azureus. I have set Azureus to use ridiculously low settings and it still bombs. when i first got the router, it worked for days with no trouble, but it got progressively worse. Does anyone have 'settings' suggestions for either my router or Azureus? Im almost at a point where it's just easier to buy the DVD legit!!! yikes!!!!
thanks folks:p

Adjust the TCP and UDP timeouts if you can on your router to be short. That helped me ton on my router....