PDA

View Full Version : Best AGP card???

aschwerin.moses
January 14th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Okay.. i have a Intel 865GBF mobo and would like to take a AGP card, the best one.. please please suggest..

My requirements are
- Install vista/win 7
- Install Leopard
- Should be able to play few games.. good ones
- SHOULD BE COMPATIBLE WITH UBUNTU

ps:dont want to upgrade my mobo as of yet

handy
January 14th, 2009, 10:03 AM
The only advice I have, is that if you get an AGP graphics card that has had a PCI-e GPU grafted onto it, you could be in for some fun & games getting it to run under Linux.

I have an XFX GeForce 7950GT card, which took me 20 hours to eventually work out that it needed AGP to be turned OFF in xorg.conf before I could get it to work properly.

So what you are doing is a good idea; find out what works for other people doing what you want to do, before you spend your money & potentially lots of time.

aschwerin.moses
January 14th, 2009, 10:19 AM
The only advice I have, is that if you get an AGP graphics card that has had a PCI-e GPU grafted onto it....

hmmmm.. well, that true.. never thought about it.. thanks mate :)

handy
January 14th, 2009, 10:31 AM
hmmmm.. well, that true.. never thought about it.. thanks mate :)

No, I hadn't thought about it either. :lolflag: Now that I know I won't forget it though. :-)

rajeev1204
January 14th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Radeon 3850 is available for agp.Its damn fast for the agp bus and your cpu might be a bottleneck since agp existed in the time of single core cpu's. But if you have a dual core then its the fastest card you will ever get .

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2118-6.html

.arean
January 14th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I have a BFG 7800GS (PCI-E GPU on AGP board) and it works flawlessly. The only real problem I have, which isn't even linux related, is the lack of aftermarket cooling solutions. But the stock heatsink does a pretty good job and allows for a decent overclock (500/750 over the stock 375/600). Kind of makes me wonder what it could do with better cooling.

mips
January 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM
- Install Leopard

This is a violation of the EULA but I would suggest you check the Hardware Compatibility Lists (HCL) on the OSX86 page.

- Should be able to play few games.. good ones

Define "good ones", Counter Strike, Crysis etc? Pretty much dictates what card you will need.

ps:dont want to upgrade my mobo as of yet

AGP cards are more expensive than PCI counterparts and also don't offer much in terms of new technology. nVidia AGP cards only go up to 7x00 series, not sure about ATI. Then in Linux the nVidia drivers are better than the ATI ones. So it is all about choices. Personally I would upgrade everything at the same time then sell what you can if need be and recoup some of the costs.

Changturkey
January 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
+1 for the AGP 3850.

aschwerin.moses
January 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM
saw the reviews for ATI 3850 .. the reviews are really good .. ATI3650 sound decent enough too..

does anyone know if ubuntu/linux drivers are available for 3850 or 3650???

Eclipse.
January 14th, 2009, 07:16 PM
This is a violation of the EULA but I would suggest you check the Hardware Compatibility Lists (HCL) on the OSX86 page.

Its actually not, plus who honestly cares.Also the HCL isnt great so google around a bit aswell.

mips
January 15th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Its actually not, plus who honestly cares.

Installing OS X is a violation of the EULA, the forum staff seem to care (at times). I actually reported the original post as similair post have been removed before. When nothing happened to the post I replied to it

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
saw the reviews for ATI 3850 .. the reviews are really good .. ATI3650 sound decent enough too..

does anyone know if ubuntu/linux drivers are available for 3850 or 3650???

they are but the r600 series (hd2xxx and hd3xxx) still has the problem of skipping video while using compositing

wmcbrine
January 15th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I was thinking of starting a thread like this, but my requirements are different. Currently I'm running a Matrox G400, from 2000. It still works well, but: it won't do an xv window bigger than 1024x1024, which means it can't really play back HD video (and it doesn't accelerate it enough either); the Open GL support is weak, if not outright broken; and the card is 4x AGP, but Ubuntu thinks it's 1x, and I can't seem to change its mind.

One thing that keeps me clinging to the card is its high-quality VGA output, something it was known for in its day. I read the reviews of newer cards, and they'll often say the DVI is sharp, but the VGA is blurry. VGA with my Matrox card is as sharp as I could ask for, just like DVI.

So, what I want from a new card:

- It only needs to run on Ubuntu.
- I'd prefer open source drivers.
- Quality VGA output -- it can't be inferior to what I have now.
- The ability to play back full 720p, with no lag. (I don't need 1080p, but I should be able to play 1080i/p converted to 720p.)
- Decent Open GL support -- not super important; I don't plan to run any heavy games. I'd just like Compiz/whatever to maybe actually work for once.
- Quiet -- my current card is fanless, which is another point in its favor. I'd prefer to keep it that way.
- Cheap -- I'm not sure how much more money I want to put into this aging system. (The rest of it isn't vintage 2000, but mostly 2004, with a 2008 hard drive.) I'm not looking for the bottom of the barrel, but as long as it can meet the above, then a bargain is better.

Any advice?

aschwerin.moses
January 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
okay.. i decided to get ATI 3650 BUT... no one has it.. im in India and the stores here have only ATI 1650 .. i dont want that..

well.. so i thought about this, using the same amount of money.. and i need you guys to suggest me

As i have P4, Im thinking of getting a mobo which supports P4 and also Core 2/Quad .. my friend said he will give me his Nvidia 6600 ... i can atleast upgrade the processor and video card later..

suggestions please..

aschwerin.moses
January 16th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I was thinking of starting a thread like this, but my requirements are different. Currently I'm running a Matrox G400, from 2000. It still works well...........

suggest u to get 3650 (sapphire) .. 3850 is the best AGP.. but if u dont want to put much money, then u can go for 3650

3650 and 3850 have driver issues and its a bit difficult to get them working on Ubuntu.. but can be done.. that is what i could gather

hence im planning of getting a mobo and mem with that money, atleast will have no driver issues with Nvida cards