PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] V2P: Virtual Machine to Physical Machine

Deathspike
January 14th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Hey people,

I'm a brand new Ubuntu, switching from my Windows operating system to Ubuntu. Seeing as I have a bunch of software for which I haven't found a decent Linux replacement yet, and use these on a daily basis, I am wondering if I can create a virtual machine using VMWare (or anything other virtualization software, I don't mind) and copy the exact same contents to a standalone Ubuntu desktop.

I was wondering if this could be done by basically creating a backup within the VM and then copy its contents over an installed Ubuntu partition? Of course, no shared folders or other weird gizmo's would be enabled inside the VM. I really do hope this is possible, tweaking my VM and using it as my main operating system when it's exactly to my liking..

Thanks for any help in advance!

wishyjr
January 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
i don't quite get what you're proposing but yeah, i think you could do what you are talking about.

I run certain windows programs in a virtual XP machine and I can transfer files really easily between the XP virtual and my ubuntu host machines.

hope that helps.

Deathspike
January 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
It isn't about just any file, I want to make a backup inside of the Virtual Machine and deploy the backup on a new physical hard-disk as standalone OS. If this works, I will go ahead tweaking my VM. Can you confirm on exactly this? Thanks :)