PDA

View Full Version : How to detect keypress in background?

HyperHacker
January 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I have a GTK C app that needs to know when a key is pressed, regardless of what window has focus. The program talks to a remote control that has a button to turn the display off. I use xset to turn it off, but it doesn't seem to want to stay off (it'll turn back on after 10 minutes or so).
The solution I came up with for that is that when the off button is pressed, it will set a flag to call xset every minute or so. However then if the user doesn't use the remote to turn it back on, the program will continue to turn the displays off every minute. I want it to detect keyboard activity so it knows when to stop doing that. (I'm not as concerned about the mouse; I always use the keyboard to wake it up anyway, and that way the cat won't bump it in the middle of the night.)

The best solutions I've seen are to use XGrabKey() to tell me when a key is pressed, or read /proc/interrupts. However, the X method isn't working:

XMainDisplay = XOpenDisplay(0);
RootWindow = DefaultRootWindow(XMainDisplay);
XGrabKey(XMainDisplay, AnyKey, AnyModifier, RootWindow, True,

GrabModeAsync, GrabModeAsync);
XSelectInput(XMainDisplay, RootWindow, KeyPressMask);

XEvent XE;
XNextEvent(XMainDisplay, &XE);I get a BadAccess error on the last line (access denied even if I'm running as root when I grab the key). GTK tells me I can use gdk_x_error() to get more information, but that doesn't seem to exist (no mention of it in the GTK or GDK manuals, and Google only turns up bug reports with programs giving that message). -_-

As for /proc/interrupts, I can't find any useful information on how to parse the file to find the keyboard interrupt info. The best I found was "look for any line with the word keyboard in it", but mine has none.
CPU0
0: 144 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 270933 IO-APIC-edge i8042
4: 4 IO-APIC-edge
7: 0 IO-APIC-edge parport0
8: 2 IO-APIC-edge rtc0
9: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
14: 474026 IO-APIC-edge pata_via
15: 539925 IO-APIC-edge pata_via
16: 25859512 IO-APIC-fasteoi nvidia, eth0
17: 1907233 IO-APIC-fasteoi CMI8738
20: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi sata_via
21: 36318310 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb3, uhci_hcd:usb4, uhci_hcd:usb5
NMI: 0 Non-maskable interrupts
LOC: 111746479 Local timer interrupts
RES: 0 Rescheduling interrupts
CAL: 0 function call interrupts
TLB: 0 TLB shootdowns
SPU: 0 Spurious interrupts
ERR: 0
MIS: 0That site also mentioned the format of this file is undocumented and changes often, so trying to use it seems like a bad idea.

pavel989
January 14th, 2009, 09:27 AM
&XE?

what is XEvent?

HyperHacker
January 14th, 2009, 08:22 PM
It's the XEvent structure from Xlib, that's supposed to get set there to contain info about the event.

pavel989
January 15th, 2009, 05:21 AM
my question is passing &XE. Im sure itd throw an error if it shouldnt be such, but sometimes pointers and dereferncing can throw like bad access errors

HyperHacker
January 16th, 2009, 01:04 AM
How would it fill in the event if it weren't a pointer?

pavel989
January 16th, 2009, 06:08 AM
thats not what i meant. sorta.
You should check to make sure its pointing right.