PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Deploying a General Purpose Server

solidsnake04
January 14th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Dear Forumites I hope you are all well and enjoying the new year !
I have an old machine which I would like to set up as a general purpose ubuntu server to practice on, and hopefully learn something about various types of servers.

I have an 80 GB Hard Disk with 1 GB RAM and a fairly decent AMD Athlon 64 Processor. As the title suggest, I would like to turn this machine into a multi purpose server and have it act as a FTP, Mail, Database, Web, File & Print, Proxy & Reverse Proxy and LDAP server. This setup is strickly for learning purposes just to get some familiarity with the different types of server.

Moreover, for learning purposes, I also would like to partition this 80 GB HD into:
/
/boot
/swap
/home
/opt
/tmp
/usr
/urs/local
/var
/srv
plus whichever other partitions are needed for the services mentioned above. However, I would be pleased if you would suggest appropriate sizes for the partitions and whether I should subpartition /var. Furthermore, I am not sure about the difference between /var and /srv, so any help would be appreciated. Finally please, advise on wether to have 1 extended partition with all partitions inside it as logical, or 3 primary partitions + 1 extended partition.

PS: The system will have no more than 3 users who shall not use more than 1 GB of data.

I look forward to your help ! ):P

cariboo
January 14th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Seeing as this is an experimental server, and you are probably going to be reinstalling often, I would recommend just one partition plus a swap partition, there is really no need to divide your hard drive into to a bunch of small partitions. I have my server setup like this:

120Gb -- 25Gb /boot 1Gb /swap and the rest for /home
80Gb -- one partition mounted in /home
400Gb Raid1 array one partition mounted in /home

Jim