PDA

View Full Version : SCO Shrivels Up and Dies... sorta

Grant A.
January 14th, 2009, 04:02 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11437463
http://uk.reuters.com/article/marketsNewsUS/idUKN1338179220090113

They won't last a minute in appeals court, and they are liquidating their core products. Let's let this be an example to Microsoft as to what happens when you mess with Linux.

Bye bye SCO! ):P

KiwiNZ
January 14th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Remember if they close there are folks that will lose their income beyond their control

Grant A.
January 14th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Remember if they close there are folks that will lose their income beyond their control

It's their fault for not going job hunting in the first place. IMHO, it's never a good idea to work for a collapsing company, especially during a global recession.

Very blunt, but that's how the truth is.

KiwiNZ
January 14th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Its also hard to change employment during a recession

Compassion my friend costs little in time and money;)

It's their fault for not going job hunting in the first place. IMHO, it's never a good idea to work for a collapsing company, especially during a global recession.

Very blunt, but that's how the truth is.

samjh
January 14th, 2009, 04:56 AM
It's their fault for not going job hunting in the first place.

Easier said than done, when everyone is getting laid off and need to find work in a shrinking employment market.

Grant A.
January 14th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Its also hard to change employment during a recession

Compassion my friend costs little in time and money;)

We should have compassion in a company that wants to do nothing better than take over millions of developers' hard work and time for themselves, and then charge ridiculous prices for licenses? Not to mention knock on everyone's door in Australia who runs Linux and force you to buy a UNIX license.

For working for such an evil company, they can live on the streets for all I care.

KiwiNZ
January 14th, 2009, 05:02 AM
And of course the Receptionist , accounts clerks etc etc all were involved in the Board room decisions and involved in the litigation.

I find this attitude some what sickening .

We should have compassion in a company that wants to do nothing better than take over millions of developers' hard work and time for themselves, and then charge ridiculous prices for licenses? Not to mention knock on everyone's door in Australia who runs Linux and force you to buy a UNIX license.

For working for such an evil company, they can live on the streets for all I care.

Grant A.
January 14th, 2009, 05:09 AM
And of course the Receptionist , accounts clerks etc etc all were involved in the Board room decisions and involved in the litigation.

Sons shall pay for the sins of their fathers

In other words, what happens to one, will affect everyone related to his actions, including, but not limited to, a company.

phrostbyte
January 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Why are you assuming anyone is going to losing their jobs? SCO is selling off it's assets, assets also often mean "human assets". Though I wouldn't mind the assets of the people responsible for the lawsuit be confiscated and they be thrown in jail for bamboozling the shareholders of the company.

toupeiro
January 14th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I see KiwiNZ's point..

Its incredibly safe to assume human resources will be liquidated in a situation like this... Condemning every last person who worked for a company had some bad business ethics, and holding them personally responsible and accountable for the actions of a few top level executives is pretty shallow. Whether its one person, or ten people, some family somewhere is going to lose their livelyhood over this. It wouldn't hurt any of you with the "Thats what you get" attitude to sensitize yourselves a little bit. For all you know, it may be one of your own families. Better yet, what if it were your own? Are you really naive enough to think employers are just WAITING to knock down your door with offers during a recession? Its hard enough for people to find entry level food service jobs right now, let alone good paying IT positions. It'd do you some good to realize in a heartbeat, this could be any of us with a job.

Grant A.
January 14th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I see KiwiNZ's point..

Its incredibly safe to assume human resources will be liquidated in a situation like this... Condemning every last person who worked for a company had some bad business ethics, and holding them personally responsible and accountable for the actions of a few top level executives is pretty shallow. Whether its one person, or ten people, some family somewhere is going to lose their livelyhood over this. It would hurt any of you with the "Thats what you get" attitude to sensitize yourselves a little bit. For all you know, it may be one of your own families. Better yet, what if it were your own? Are you really naive enough to think employers are just WAITING to knock down your door with offers during a recession? Its hard enough for people to find entry level food service jobs right now, let alone good paying IT positions. It'd do you some good to realize in a heartbeat, this could be any of us with a job.

I have a woman who turns into a banshee once a month living with me. The pity trick doesn't work. Life is hard, life is unfair, that's how it is. No matter how things are, people pay for the stupid things others do. Look at DRM, it's there because morons try to pirate media to try and get it for free, and all DRM does is hurt the end-user. Did we cause it? No. Did we have a say in it? No. Same applies here. If you knowingly worked for a company that tried to steal, lie, and cheat its way to owning someone else's property, then you deserve to live on the streets. How could you NOT know? Surely news such as lawsuits against Novell, a company who holds one of the largest networking patent portfolios in the industry, would be the talk of the office.

KiwiNZ
January 14th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I have a woman who turns into a banshee once a month living with me. The pity trick doesn't work. Life is hard, life is unfair, that's how it is. No matter how things are, people pay for the stupid things others do. .

So you would like to get rid of the disabled as well ?

Grant A.
January 14th, 2009, 05:46 AM
So you would like to get rid of the disabled as well ?

When did I say that? Saying life is unfair does not mean I favor genocide.

toupeiro
January 14th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I have a woman who turns into a banshee once a month living with me. The pity trick doesn't work. Life is hard, life is unfair, that's how it is. No matter how things are, people pay for the stupid things others do.

That doesn't mean you have to be insufferable towards those losing their jobs! You obviously don't have a clear understanding of what compassion is, and what pity is... That's a pity.

Grant A.
January 14th, 2009, 05:51 AM
That doesn't mean you have to be insufferable towards those losing their jobs! You obviously don't have a clear understanding of what compassion is, and what pity is... That's a pity.

I did not say that I don't feel pity for anyone who loses their job. I clearly said that I don't feel pity for anyone who knowingly works for a cheating, lying, and stealing company. If you work for that company, you are helping it. Therefore, there is no pity in the well for you. Surely holding spray paint for a graffiti tagger is known as being an accomplice, how could this not be aswell?

RiceMonster
January 14th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I did not say that I don't feel pity for anyone who loses their job. I clearly said that I don't feel pity for anyone who knowingly works for a cheating, lying, and stealing company. If you work for that company, you are helping it. Therefore, there is no pity in the well for you. Surely holding spray paint for a graffiti tagger is known as being an accomplice, how could this not be?

That's unfair. That's like saying the millions of enron employees who lost their jobs during its collapse and had no idea of the corporate crimes going on should be held accountable.

Grant A.
January 14th, 2009, 05:56 AM
That's unfair. That's like saying the millions of enron employees who lost their jobs during its collapse and had no idea of the corporate crimes going on should be held accountable.

I don't feel pity for anyone who knowingly works for a cheating, lying, and stealing company.

Please people, quit TL;DR'ing me.

toupeiro
January 14th, 2009, 05:57 AM
If you knowingly worked for a company that tried to steal, lie, and cheat its way to owning someone else's property, then you deserve to live on the streets. How could you NOT know? Surely news such as lawsuits against Novell, a company who holds one of the largest networking patent portfolios in the industry, would be the talk of the office.

... So do you then believe all people living in Germany deserve the same fate as those who died during the Holocaust?

I guess everyone working in the medical industry should die because pharmaceutical companies knowingly released drugs with side effects that could kill?

Where would you draw the line exactly with your logic?

Not to mention, where does the preservation of your own family come into play? Again, do you think IT jobs grow on trees?

RiceMonster
January 14th, 2009, 06:03 AM

Please people, quit TL;DR'ing me.

What if quitting their job was not an option for them? A neighbour of mine works for an elevator company and has a huge problem with the people running the company and the way its run, but if he quit his job, he would be in a lot of trouble because it would take him a long time to find another job that he can live off. The truth is, you don't really understand someone's situation until you really hear about it from them. You can't make assumptions like that.

Also, when you were speaking about the lawsuit being "the talk of the office". Well they're working for the SCO, so who's side of the story are they going to hear? They're going to hear from the SCO side of things, so they can easily think that the company is not doing anything wrong.

Grant A.
January 14th, 2009, 06:10 AM
... So do you then believe all people living in Germany deserve the same fate as those who died during the Holocaust?

Hitler told his public, and the rest of the world, that the concentration camps were simply labor camps. The public had no knowing hand in it.

I guess everyone working in the medical industry should die because pharmaceutical companies knowingly released drugs with side effects that could kill?

I doubt the man in the mail room would know about that, and when the hell did I ever say they should die? I clearly said live on the streets, and if you knowingly researched the drug and its side effects and helped make the drug in the simple task of keeping your job, then I would hope your conscience would kick in before you handed the drug over to your supervisor. It's called lying by omission and is illegal when it comes to crimes. If you didn't inform the cops that the drug could kill, and you knew, then you by United States law, are responsible.

Where would you draw the line exactly with your logic?

When the person who gets fired had no prior knowledge of the events.

Not to mention, where does the preservation of your own family come into play?

It's survival of the fittest. If I die, then my DNA wasn't right to survive. It is a natural part of evolution, and I shall have my place in heaven as a believer in my God.

Again, do you think IT jobs grow on trees?

Buy a business license for $5 (they are that cheap in some parts of Texas), go to GoDaddy.com, buy a domain name and hosting, learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (Very simple languages), and sell websites for anywhere from $50-$500 each. Congratulations, the apple has fallen.

---------

Btw, several workers from Enron were tried for lying by omission after it fell, and many were convicted.

------------

What if quitting their job was not an option for them? A neighbour of mine works for an elevator company and has a huge problem with the people running the company and the way its run, but if he quit his job, he would be in a lot of trouble because it would take him a long time to find another job that he can live off. The truth is, you don't really understand someone's situation until you really hear about it from them. You can't make assumptions like that.

Then he should quit. If he knowingly has a problem, he should quit. Dignity is above all other things in importance. God rewards those who are truthful and righteous.

Also, when you were speaking about the lawsuit being "the talk of the office". Well they're working for the SCO, so who's side of the story are they going to hear? They're going to hear from the SCO side of things, so they can easily think that the company is not doing anything wrong.

If they work in the IT industry, they have computers, and most likely have them at home as well.

ZOMG what's this?!

http://www.cnn.com/

It is everyone's responsibility to get both sides of the argument.

KiwiNZ
January 14th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Although I have posted in this thread I am closing it.

Refer the banner at the top