PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to Linux - Need Help

jhonnyboy
January 14th, 2009, 02:57 AM
hello everyone im happy to announce i have just moved from windows to linux. :)

I am having some trouble with my drivers and since i have never used linux before i'm a bit lost. I am using Ubuntu and my system has informed me that no propriety drivers have been installed and it points to my NVIDIA video card. I clicked on activate and restarted my system but nothing has changed.

can i have any advice on how to solve this? Thanks guys

sukiminna
January 14th, 2009, 03:06 AM
hello everyone im happy to announce i have just moved from windows to linux. :)

I am having some trouble with my drivers and since i have never used linux before i'm a bit lost. I am using Ubuntu and my system has informed me that no propriety drivers have been installed and it points to my NVIDIA video card. I clicked on activate and restarted my system but nothing has changed.

can i have any advice on how to solve this? Thanks guys

hello there
what do you mean by "nothing change"? if you want to see the visual effects you have to turn it on from menu system->preferences->appearance

in the visual effects tab select extra.

sumhow..if you have problem installing the nVidia drivers you could juz goto system->administration->synaptic package manager

search for envy & install it.
run envy from application->system tools->envy

and there you can pick the nvidia driver you need to install.

hope this help you , cheers
:KS

wadeo
January 14th, 2009, 03:12 AM
I too have Nvidia cards in SLI in my tower. I've had loads of success installing videocard drivers using EnvyNG which is located in the universe repos. (packages include: envyng-core, envyng-gtk)

here's the website
http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

side note: I'm currently running Hardy Heron 8.04 - the website also does not list Ibex 8.10 in their supported OS's, so I'm not sure if it works on that version.

perhaps others can chime in?

cb34
January 14th, 2009, 03:23 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1037541
check out post#8 of mine. that's one way to do it.

just be careful when using a root shell!