PDA

View Full Version : Philippines School Dumped Windows to install Ubuntu Linux

I-75
January 14th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Philippines School Dumped Windows to install Ubuntu Linux

http://www.chinwong.com/index.php?/site/comments/dump_windows_save_millions/

XAVIER School

"When management saw these costs, it became more receptive to the open source alternative. The school’s IT team needed even less convincing, since many of them were accustomed to Mac OS X, which like Linux, is based on Unix. The large-scale deployment of Ubuntu 8.04—chosen because of its ease of use as a desktop operating system—began in April."

Grant A.
January 14th, 2009, 03:00 AM
We're based on UNIX? Incredible!

I guess GNU is UNIX after all.

dnns123
January 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Hi! I graduated from this school this year. It was around December of 2007 when I suggested switching the Windows PCs to Linux and maybe a dual boot on the Macs to the head of the IT department, Mr. Lambus.I was a Linux Zealot during this time, spending nearly all my free time tinkering with my Ubuntu setup. As I quote him saying "Ubuntu? That's crap! You know why we bought all these Macs? It's to have an easy time managing all these computers plus it works out of the box". That line stuck to my head because it was my idea for my final thesis in High School, which he quickly threw out the window. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=592038
Recently, I heard from my former teachers about this change and they said that Mr. Lambus was the one who gave the idea. Now I know how much stealing or copying an idea hurts...

hoopz23
January 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Woah! Man I went to high school in the Philippines too and as of like 2006 there was still one computer lab in my school ( a really old one) that had windows 98. :lolflag:

RiceMonster
January 14th, 2009, 05:20 AM
We're based on UNIX? Incredible!

I guess GNU is UNIX after all.

Actually, Linux is very arguably "based on Unix", because it was designed designed to be a UNIX clone. Don't be so picky.