PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Opening Music

azurepancake
January 14th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Hi all,

Recently, I've been screwing around with electronic instruments and musical software, and I am beginning to get a pretty decent feel for it.

Feeling a little inspired by an article I read, I began working on a little project. And this project is to make a tiny piece of music that I can use for Ubuntu's 'logging-on' music.

So I mocked up a couple little tunes and picked the one I liked best. Here she blows:

Disclaimer: I'm no professional, but will be very gracious for constructive criticism.

http://tristanevans.net/audio/moon_soup.mp3

It's pretty fun making this tiny music. And great for people like me with short attention spans! :P

I wanted to use the Eastern sounding drums to kind of somewhat follow Ubuntu's theme. The rest just kind of fell together.

I must confess, that I didn't use any Linux software for creating the little tune :(. I used Reason 4.0 on a Windows XP virtual machine! This is something I plan to stop doing soon.

So really what I'm posting about is that I am quite curious to know if anyone else has given this a shot? And if you have, please post a link because I'd love to hear it!

Anyways, thanks for reading :)

P.S. - Oh, and here is that article I was reading: http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2005/05/tiny-music-makers-pt-1-intel-inside.html. It is pretty interesting. They interview Brian Eno, the great ambient music composer who also did the intro music for Windows 95, as well as the guy behind that awesome THX music!

Enjoy.

hansdown
January 14th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Hi azurepancake.

That's pretty neat. Keep it up.

JoshuaRL
January 14th, 2009, 02:34 AM
If you want to do some techno style stuff, check out LMMS. It's in the repos, and it is like a less developed version of Fruity Loops. But free instead of $300!

wolfen69
January 14th, 2009, 02:48 AM
i like it. it sounds a little futuristic in a way. make some more!

neu2buntu
January 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
sounds neat.. i did something kinda similar as my startup music,.. used lmms and added a techno bassline and beats to it.(took me ages to find the startup sound) .but i wouldnt post it...lol