PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Purchasing a new Ratel Value

Tom Atkins
January 13th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I understand that you no longer will install HH on your machines. I purchased the HH DVD which I used to install HH on my present machine. Do you foresee any problem if I used that DVD and installed HH on my new machine? I want to keep a LTS version.

Also what purpose do your driver packages serve?

I have decided to purchase your machine because of the excellent support you supply through this forum.

cmnorton
February 20th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I felt the same way you did about LTS. I elected to let them install 8.10, because their (System 76's) support is so good, you'll be easily guided through the next upgrade.

Someone from System 76 will have to answer official on their drivers, but I imagine it's for things like the camera.

thomasaaron
February 20th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I understand that you no longer will install HH on your machines. I purchased the HH DVD which I used to install HH on my present machine. Do you foresee any problem if I used that DVD and installed HH on my new machine? I want to keep a LTS version.

The facts: 8.04 should work fine as long as you don't get the ATI graphics option.
My Opinion: You're still likely to occasionally have updates that hose things either way. Go with 8.10.

Also what purpose do your driver packages serve?

It applies model-specific patches to our computers. When we squash a bug, we update the driver accordingly. So running the driver will a) apply patches; and b) allow you to restore your machine to factory specs if you ever need to re-image it.

I have decided to purchase your machine because of the excellent support you supply through this forum.

Thank you. We appreciate the kind words.