PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] XP virtual machine

baller_2003
January 13th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Does anyone know of a better program to use in ubuntu out there besides virtualbox? I have tried to install xp several times, I keep getting an error about the read\write permitions every I try to run an install off an xp cd. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

adamlau
January 13th, 2009, 06:04 AM
VMware Workstation for Linux (http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/).

Hooya
January 14th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Can you say exactly what the error you're getting is? I think you are just running across a very common problem with Virtualbox. I have an XP install in Virtualbox and the process was totally smooth.

Tofi
January 14th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I am acomplete newcomer to the world of Linux. I have just downloaded Ubuntu 8.11. I would like to use VirtualBox (not sure why...on theinternet it was one of the recommended free virualization software).
three questions:
1. When VirualBox is installed can I flip between Ubuntu and Windows I have XP professional presently installed..or am I being naive! As you can guess the world of virtualization is new to me

2. Which defaults as the opening programme if I do nothing

3. If it is Ubuntu, can I change this to Windows until I am comfortable with Ubuntu
Thanks for your patience,
Keith

baller_2003
January 14th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I got the problem figured out with virtualbox. I was running ubuntu 7.10 was the main problem. I had upgraded to 8.10, and gave the permitions to the virtualbox software that it needed by using the terminal. Everything runs smooth as silk now. I know to check my version now before I go to installing certain kinds of software now, however, I cant figure out how to get the virtual machine to recognize usb. I tried going into the devices tab, but usb is greyed out. Any suggestions?

Hooya
January 14th, 2009, 04:03 PM
There is a lot of discussion out there about getting a Virtualbox install of Windows to recognize USB devices. Some clever Google searching will likely get the answer you need.

kstump
May 26th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I must admit that when it comes to the linux "language" I am at a total loss. I need plug & play or else a real clear set of instructions.

So, I've got virtual box installed ok, I think, but all I've got for Windows is the OEM disk that came with my computer. As far as I can tell, this is not an ISO disk or file. Windows XP pro is also installed on my fixed hard disk.

How can I get Windows to run in virtual box without putting more money into Bill Gates pockets?

I appreciate all the help I can get.

Shazaam
May 26th, 2009, 03:32 AM
kstump...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6122463&postcount=6
From here (2 stickies)...
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=308

Font of Knowledge
July 12th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Is your copy of XP an OEM distribution (should say on disk)? If so, it will only be allowed to be installed on one computer at a time.

kstump
July 13th, 2009, 12:52 AM
It's in and running fine (I think) and also running with it's prior installation. At least the last time I used it. I need to load up a bit more software before I can abandon the other system. I'm thinking of seeing if I can get Ghost to do it for me. Norton is just about as bad as Mr. Softy anymore. I'd rather pay and support people that actually make things work. Not pretend they are another tax collector!

So, I've got to get away from people in California that have no work ethic.