PDA

View Full Version : Took the dive on my laptop

lloose
January 13th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I have been using XP on my school laptop for a while. I didn't really have any attachment to it other than my copy of Office 07 that I purchased last semester. After giving the new Ubuntu distro a shot on my live cd and finding that my wireless worked out of the box, I bit the bullet and did a full install. I love it! Its so lite and useful in my classes. My apps load quicker than in xp and it just feels RIGHT.

Anyways, just thought I would share the news. :)

edit: Its a Compaq Presario v5000. Intel Celeron 1.4ghz with 1gig of ddr2.

ajcham
January 13th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Welcome to the forums, and the world of Linux.

You've definitely come to the right place. Hopefully things will be nice and straightforward for you, but these forums are excellent if you happen to hit a snag or two on the way.

SomeGuyDude
January 13th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Let me tell you, you'll start to get spoiled by the responsiveness of the system. Remember how when you used Windows the fact that you had to wait an extra two minutes after the desktop loaded before you could actually run anything? Well in a little while you'll be complaining that it's a whole 45 seconds between when you hit the power button and when you can actually do stuff.

Rokurosv
January 13th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Welcome!
I remember my first atempt at installing Linux on a laptop, people would tell me not to do it, that it doesn't work, no wireless support, etc. I was using Debian at the time, and I said meh might as well go for it. Had some troubles with the wireless but after a few couple of searches I had it up and running.
Hope you have a great time using Ubuntu.