PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Transfering OS to multiple machines

AndyP79
January 12th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hi All,
I have been experimenting for a while and seem to have a set up with Intrepid that I like. I would like to transfer this set-up to a new computer that i am wanting to build. How do I create my own "distro" ?
I could always write down every little thing that I have done along the way, but would like to create a disk with all my goodies on it already.
Any word?
Thanks
-a

damphoud
January 12th, 2009, 11:40 PM
You can look into Remastersys:

http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/

briandu
January 13th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Do the following:

#On ur PC:
1) dpkg --get-selections > pkglist.txt

copy file onto new installation (new PC) and then
2) dpkg --set-selections < pkglist.txt && apt-get dselect-upgrade

3) You should bear in mind that you would also need to copy over configuration files from /etc when copying your system to a new computer.

This is fairly reliable and assumes the hardware is almost identical for step 3 to work otherwise leave step 3 out. (And I mean almost identical)

If u do step 1 and 2 the you will have to fine tune some of the params for the applications.

ANOTHER method is to is to use partimage and restore image onto second PC - BUT the hardware MUST be identical.

If u think that u can can "clone" from PC to PC u will be disappointed. Exacting requirements are needed with high tech knowledge. U R warned here.

Best advise: rather manually install per PC if any differences. Steps 1 & 2 work great for this.

Cheers.