PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] New gnome-terminal or rxvt Windows Fail

Jesdisciple
January 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I have a bash program running in the background from startup to open a new AllTray/Sunbird session when I close the current one, to keep Sunbird's RAM usage low. For whatever reason, I sometimes need to stop and/or restart the bash process itself. This requires that I run a separate bash script to change a file's contents, signaling that after Sunbird is exited the first bash process should finish.

I sometimes forget to run this second script before restarting, so I want to display a reminder when that happens. From reading gnome-terminal --help, I thought this should do it:
gnome-terminal -x read -p "Sunbird is already open!";That opens a blank terminal window with an alert dialog, "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal." I searched for that message and found that it's related to udev, so I reinstalled that (as someone else was instructed). I also installed rxvt and tried this:
rxvt -e read -p "Sunbird is already open!"But that window just closes right after opening (the same thing gnome-terminal does if I just use echo). What am I doing wrong?

On the other hand, if I could just kill the first bash process without any user action that would be a better solution... That would probably require root privileges; can I start my script as root on startup?

mcduck
January 12th, 2009, 09:23 PM
How about using Zenity to display the message instead of opening a terminal for it:

zenity --warning --text='Sunbird is already open!'

Jesdisciple
January 12th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks! That did occur to me after I posted, but I didn't even know bash had GUI libraries.

In case anyone knows how to kill a process from bash, please ignore the [SOLVED] tag; that would be a much more user-friendly (well, me-friendly) solution.